• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Start/No Start Problem

LAJAMA

Extreme
Hey,

I am having a problem with my 2005 RX-1 ER, one minute I turn the key and it starts up without a problem. But the next time I go to start it, I turn the key and nothing.......it is like the battery is totally dead, but the battery is fine since I just charge it. I wait for some time, then try again to start it and the RX-1 fires up no problem..........so, sometimes it starts fine and other times when I try to start it there seems to be no connection to the battery so that it starts.

Any ideas as to what I can check out......I don't really want to take the RX-1 out on the trail like this since I don't want to get stranded!

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

It’s either a bad connection or faulty solenoid,starter or battery. Take all big wire connections off and clean

could be like my 05 rx where the start position on ign got blocked by a peice of plastic. would only do it occasionally too. when it does it, try jumping across the big wires on the solenoid when it does it to confirm that is the issue.

could be like my 05 rx where the start position on ign got blocked by a peice of plastic. would only do it occasionally too. when it does it, try jumping across the big wires on the solenoid when it does it to confirm that is the issue.
Thanks for the lead.......so, all you had to do was remove the piece of plastic and the problem was solved?

yes. i carry that ign now as a spare as we didn't know at the time that was the issue and dealer had a new one in stock. brother pulled it apart and found it after we got it running from that and other issues. sucked trying to find the other issue when it did this 10 mi in the bush off trail.

yes. i carry that ign now as a spare as we didn't know at the time that was the issue and dealer had a new one in stock. brother pulled it apart and found it after we got it running from that and other issues. sucked trying to find the other issue when it did this 10 mi in the bush off trail.
That must not have been fun at all, having problems that far off trail........exactly what I am trying to avoid. Were you able to do anything with the old ignition switch to get rid of the piece of plastic so that you could use it as a back up? Thanks for the info.

brother took it apart and removed the floating peice and tested it on the sled. works fine with it removed.

try finding this in the bush with a broken kill switch that ice had gotten into and when it would melt, it would short out and kill the sled 2 hours into a ride. not fun. rescued that sled 2x in 2 weeks from this.

brother took it apart and removed the floating peice and tested it on the sled. works fine with it removed.

try finding this in the bush with a broken kill switch that ice had gotten into and when it would melt, it would short out and kill the sled 2 hours into a ride. not fun. rescued that sled 2x in 2 weeks from this.

Hi, I got the ignition switch out of the RX-1 and into the house to take it apart.......is there a trick on how to disassemble the switch to get to the inside of the switch to get rid of the floating piece of plastic? Thanks for your help.

My 03 would intermittently fail to start after 16 years of reliability. It actually shut down on the trail. I got it home and went through everything. Ended up being a bad wire in the key switch. When I removed the switch from the dash and pulled the wires straight it fired right up. Put it back in place... dead. Replaced the switch and back out there.

My 03 would intermittently fail to start after 16 years of reliability. It actually shut down on the trail. I got it home and went through everything. Ended up being a bad wire in the key switch. When I removed the switch from the dash and pulled the wires straight it fired right up. Put it back in place... dead. Replaced the switch and back out there.
Thank you for the heads up....it sounds like a good idea to get a backup switch to have on hand!

I am going to get a new ignition switch, but does anyone know how to get into the inside of the original switch......I have it off of the RX-1 and there appears to be three tabs around the switch case that somehow need to be released so that I can gain access to the inside of the switch.....what is the "trick" to get inside the switch? Thank you.

you need to pop the tabs loose and wiggle it apart slowly. separated the tumbler set from the electrical half. had to do it on a 4 wheeler that the tumblers messed up and new switch from yamaha was wrong.

I have replaced the ignition switch and starter relay and still the problem of Start/No Start persists. I have done some research about the starter motor having a "flat" spot where connection isn't made so it doesn't start, but when it is past the "flat" spot it starts without a problem. So is the starter the next thing that should be replaced? Is there anyway to fix the old starter? How much of a job is it to replace the starter on a RX-1?

Thank you.

rx starter is fairly easy. never had to do one yet but basically you need to pull the air box and battery basket out to get to it. while you are in there, if it has not been done recently, i would replace the oil filter.

Back