• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starting issues

Alpha

Expert
It's most likely a Ecu issue and i'm sure their will be a update but I noticed my viper does not start up right away sometimes when I shut it off at a stop sign ect. More than a few times it took several cranks and even had to turn the key off wait a sec and re start to it cranking over about 4-5 times to fire. Nytro, phazer,apex would fire in about a 1/4 -1/2 crank. Anyone else noticed this?

Mine does the same thing, did it when it was stock with stock injectors and still does it with the turbo and larger injectors. Seems like sometimes it does not want to fire at all. Turn the key off for 10 seconds and try again and it fires right up. Really odd.

I'm 99% sure it's in the tune in the ecu. hopefully Yami will release a updated tune soon.

This happened to me as well when I took it out for the first ride. Has me nervous each time I am going to start it

Has anyone tried to just crack and hold open the throttle just a tad when cranking it. I have had a few and had friends with fuel injected 2 strokes through the years that you needed to do that to sometimes to start a warm engine. I know its not what you should have to do to a modern injected anything, but if that's all it takes then that's not abig deal.

awolb69 said:
Has anyone tried to just crack and hold open the throttle just a tad when cranking it. I have had a few and had friends with fuel injected 2 strokes through the years that you needed to do that to sometimes to start a warm engine. I know its not what you should have to do to a modern injected anything, but if that's all it takes then that's not abig deal.

Good catch, that was brought up on another topic awhile back.

I tried that a few times and it would just backfire. It has to a be a tune on the ecu because my Nytro never did that.

my viper seemed a bit hard to start at 30 below but after 100 miles it starts just fine,i think there is of lots of new sled worries,but i think the yamaha motor will last for the guys that want to make some miles ,i see some issues with rolling them (more than once) laying them over, and just riding them hard out of the box, but i think over time you can ride them as hard as you want but you may pay to play

Could it be the mapping is trying to figure out the sensors and fuel injection because of it being new? I think a lot of issues will go away after a few miles get put on them.

My question is....does the fuel injection quit changing in warmer weather? I will be asphalt racing this sled and when I raced my attak, it seemed like the fuel injection quit adjusting/componsating at 55°

Terry with the Viper we may finally get to actually see all the fuel maps including the airtemp map. I know that AC guys can manipulate all the maps. Believe it or not I can on the Cannondales also. Its pretty cool. For instance when running alcohol or even E85 you cant get the engine over 80 deg in a drag since the fuel cools it so much. Well that fools the ECU into thinking the engine is just warming up and it will compensate accordingly opening up the IACV and royally messing up your tune of the main map. All you need to do is change temp it comes in effect and if you want the amount of fuel when it does. All these secondary maps can really screw with a tune or really make it awesome. Someday we will have access to all of them like Cannondale did over 10 years ago.

Attachments

• coolant_temp_medium_129.jpg
    coolant_temp_medium_129.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 127
I couldn't start mine for the life of me until i had it warm up about 45 mins in my shop. its was around -28c would crank well but wouldn't fire. this was before my first 100 miles, after the 119 miles i would cycle the key/pump 3-4 times and it would start right away. Once warm starts every time. Glad I found a solution. hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

Just got back from my 1st 46 mile ride. Sled takes 3 tries to start when warm = 2 quick tries, then blip the throttle and it starts on this 3rd try. Got to remember to try blipping the throttle before the 1st try.

had same prob rode the sled 4mi pulled it in the shop, sat for 30min than tried to start and just cranked and cranke. Than i messed with throttle and took off. For a New sled with an almost $13000 price tag thats unacceptable!!!!

Back