• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steaming issue

Harleywarden

Veteran
I ride an L-TX-SE I was on a 80 mile river run yesterday with three of my buds. as we stopped to take breaks my sled was steaming everywhere, was getting ice build up by the bottom front of the seat/fuel tank as if it were coming through the tunnel under the seat/fuel tank. The whole sled turned white with frost from the windshield back and i had a really bad problem keeping goggles from fogging. it was -24C and prob a little cooler running in the river valley. there was about 6"'s powder in a lot of areas. My three other buds figured there was something going on that should not be happening and they are experienced sledders. There was no smell of antifreeze at all They all run Polaris from old to a new Assault and there sleds had no issues with steaming like that. I am knew with Yamaha as i liked the Viper look and the 4 stroke and getting back into sledding again. I have not taking a look under the panels yet plan on doing this today as I only got back late. Engine runs great but had some starting issues with it as well which i will post in that thread. the three to four turn key trick works for me in -25c weather.

If any one can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated

Probably the snow melt on the underside where the exhaust sits as there is a hole there for cooling.

I noticed the same thing with my viper however I was riding in about 18" of powder and breaking trail the whole time. The steam on mine a as coming from snow hitting the radiator. There isn't any issues with that. No different from driving your car for an hour then running water on the radiator. When I ride on a hard packed trail it does not do it cuz there is no snow hitting the radiator

it was steaming Considerably when the sled was sitting parked. is it possible to block this cooling hole? i know cooling is important but i cant have this happen in cold weather conditions my whole body clothing everything was covered in white frost plus my goggles from fogging up. I wasnt getting snow in the rad at all. it was straight fast river run 60-80 mph. Also why was it icing up right under the tank like if it was running out onto the tunnel down to the floor boards right behind my boots?? I should of takin a picture of how frosted everything was.

Seems very strange to me. Mine hasn't done anything like that on hard packed trail only in loose snow. But never to the point of what you are talking. The day it happened to me was around -5f but that was the only time because of the deep snow. Maybe others will chime in with similar issues

hopefully more people can comment with there experience. any extra comments would be appreciated. Thanks and happy riding.

Mine does the same thing,really noticed it on the GoPro video. Coolant temp runs on the high side of the meter. I don't know how accurate it is or how high it is normal. The fan comes on a lot at idle.

might be an easy fix with a lower thermostat i am thinking and let the rad do more work then the exchanger just a thought.

Harleywarden said:
might be an easy fix with a lower thermostat i am thinking and let the rad do more work then the exchanger just a thought.

A lower thermostat will help the sled. The sled makes peak hp around 150-160 degrees. Mine runs 160-165 so a little cooler will help with power

Sorry Harleywarden, I already deleted that video, was long and boring.

Studroes144 said:
Harleywarden said:

A lower thermostat will help the sled. The sled makes peak hp around 150-160 degrees. Mine runs 160-165 so a little cooler will help with power
;)!

Its probably because the exhaust shield is not sealed especially right by chaincase. Lots of steam can come through there. I will probably get something like Silicon sheet material and seal that off.

Back