• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stock hand grip installation tips?

Doug

Pro
I have to put new bars on my sled, '07 Attak, and thus have had to order new grips and heaters as well. Have ordered the stock stuff.

Any tips fo getting the grips on succesfully without ruining the heaters? It's been a long time since I've done this, and my memories of the old Doo grips messing-up the wires that wrap around from the inside of the bars has me a lil worried.

Any type of lube good for this? Boil the grips in water first?

Thanks

Hi Doug,

I'm not sure which ones you ordered but the updated grip heaters for the apex are a lot better than the older ones.

They have a foam backing on them between the element and the bars..

Now with the updated warmers and the yamaheater they burn my hands they get so hot..

Getting back to your question, i put a thin layer of electrical tape over the element from the end of the bar all the way to where the wires come out of the element, than i little bit of soap on the tape and if you have the original Yamaha grips they will slide right on put the two rivets back and you are done..

I would highly recommend the updated elements, i think they are the 2010, even with the yamaheater, i have to keep it at the factory setting about half way and they still get very very hot..

Great job Rock..

Fabio,

I ordered the heaters and grips listed for my '07 sled on the current Yammi microfiche. The heater elements are a new part number, superceding an older one, so maybe they are indeed hotter.

Doesn't sound too bad getting the grips on.

Doug,

I also just checked the microfiche and yes they are the updated ones...

They put a foam backing on the element so it insulates the elements from the bars...

Night and day difference...

And yes they are very easy to put on...

Hairspray works great...I like it even better then soap...I have had grips slip a little when warm useing soap but with hair spray it is wet for just long enough to slide them on and then when dry they just don't move...

On a side note, when I did mine with the upgraded heaters I filled the bars with Goodstuff foam to get rid of the dead air in the bars. I figured it couldn't hurt.

Prolly a stupid question, but my sled is three hours away, and the parts microfice doesn't show it - does the throttle block split in half so it can be installed after the grips are on?

If these new bars ever arrive, I'd like to install the heaters and grips on the bars ahead of time, then swap 'em to the sled. Hate to find-out the throttle block has to go on first.

Thanks.

Yes Doug you can put the grips on at home,
The throttle does seperate in two halfs even the brake as well..

Back