• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

subfame mod??

sheetwright

Northwoods Snowmobiling Facebook
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 Yamaha SRX
I was wondering what some of you guys thought about this modification. I hav the 09 subframe on my 08 Nytro. I hear a lot of guys are still bending these new ones with light hits, and regular jumping. There was a thread on hear a while back where a guy welded a flat plate to the bottom of the subframe. Under the round hole opening in the bottom. By doing this and adding a couple little gussets it would make the front much stronger. This is the question though. If this was done, and you hit something, how much damage would be done to the rear, or middle of the sled since that crumple area is now sturdy, and won't give as much? Tunnel, and engine mount damgae could cost more then the subframe. That is why I ask. Looking for ideas on improvements, that won't cause more future problems. Thanks guys ;)!

Something has to give when you hit something solid. I guess it's the subframe on the Nytro. If you break the bulk head (the part that the engine mounts to.) I'm sure that will cost a hella of a lot more and probably end your ride right there. With a bent sub you may be able to limp home. I have bent mine on my SE. But not enough to keep me from riding it. I'll get it fixed after the snow melts. IMO. I wouldn't strengthen it too much or at all. It seem to be bending when one ski hits something soild. usually at lower speeds. But think about it. The sled weighs 600 lbs plus the rider. when you hit something thats a lot of force being transfered to one side of the sled espeicially if the carbide diggs in like in my case. Go over to Doo Talk you will see the same thing, Cat also has the same problem. It will be interesting to see what problems Polaris has with their new chassis. This is the penalty we pay for wanting a light sled. though I wouldn't call 600 lbs light. Yes this sucks. But it could be worse???

I wouldn't do it for exeactly that reason. Maybe the sub frame is supposed to be the weak link? Maybe if that is too strong it will cause more costly parts to become damaged? Not really sure. Nevertheless, if it bends under normal riding then it should be covered so I wouldn't worry about it. If you crash it, then it won't be covered and its really your fault at the end of the day.

sub frame

BOO BOO WHERE ARE YOU? YOU ARE AN EXPERT AT THIS. C'MON SHOW YOU PIC'S OF YOUR BEEFED UP SUB FRAME AND WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REST OF YOUR FRONT END. BOOOOO BOOOOO CAN YOU HERE ME??? ;)!

sd5500 said:
I wouldn't do it for exeactly that reason. Maybe the sub frame is supposed to be the weak link? Maybe if that is too strong it will cause more costly parts to become damaged? Not really sure. Nevertheless, if it bends under normal riding then it should be covered so I wouldn't worry about it. If you crash it, then it won't be covered and its really your fault at the end of the day.

That is what my original thinking was. I ran into something with my sport grab bar/bumper. The bumper had to be replaced, but it tweaked the front end by 3/16". Thank God for the bumper!

Re: sub frame

1050THMPR said:
BOO BOO WHERE ARE YOU? YOU ARE AN EXPERT AT THIS. C'MON SHOW YOU PIC'S OF YOUR BEEFED UP SUB FRAME AND WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REST OF YOUR FRONT END. BOOOOO BOOOOO CAN YOU HERE ME??? ;)!

Look it's my buddy from HCS ;)!
No expert here but if anyone wants to see it go on HCS

i would reinforce my subframe (i twisted mine so when i buy a new one i will) because id rather hit something with a skie and bend an a-arm then my subframe. i priced out the subframe at the dealer and it was 750$(around that cant remember axact number) and it takes a will to change. for that price you can buy a cuple a-arms and they dont take long to change. i think having all the 600lb transfered to the one a-arm will wend that way before you hurts anything els on the sled.

BooBoo said:
1050THMPR said:

Boo Boo I'm glad we're friends agian. And you know what? If every NYTRO owner did to their subframe what you did there would be no bent subframe threads period. Their might be some other bent parts but like I said b4 you deffanetly beefed up your subframe and I'm glad that you are happy with the modifications you made. OH! And say hi to MEATHEAD for me!! :Rockon:

BooBoo said:
1050THMPR said:

Got a link? Worried about other problems from beefing it up?

vetmxer said:
Maybe they could weaken the a-arms a little more. At least it would be a cheaper fix.

I think this is the number one issue right here. I think the a arms are to strong. Look at other brands a arms. They all look thin and flimsy compared to what yamaha uses.

I hit stump with mine and it should have mangled the a arm but it only slightly bent it. Instead mangled the subframe. They could save some weight by doing this also.

Attachments

• BooBoo2.jpg
    BooBoo2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 106
  • BooBoo1.jpg
    BooBoo1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 112
I just was came across a post on another forum where a guy "TNytro" was selling a couple of plates that you weld onto your existing frame. Seems like a good idea. I believe the forum is "Snow and Mud".

I own a fabrication shop. So the fabrication part isn't a big deal. Have all the tools and metal allready. Just wondering if I do this, or something similar, will damage happen to the bulk head, tunnel etc. AKA All the expensive and time consuming parts; or if it is like Boo Boo's experience where the damage will be in the arms?

sheetwright said:
I own a fabrication shop. So the fabrication part isn't a big deal. Have all the tools and metal allready. Just wondering if I do this, or something similar, will damage happen to the bulk head, tunnel etc. AKA All the expensive and time consuming parts; or if it is like Boo Boo's experience where the damage will be in the arms?
Sheet, I think it would be safe to say that if you do similar to what Boo Boo did you would pretty much eliminate the chance of hurting anything from the SF to the rear. A-Arms and Spindles might be a little more vulnerable but they are easy to change and not to expensive. Do what you feel is right, these are only my opinions based upon twenty years of fabrication and design. I will say that if you bend her up after reinforcing it like that you might not have much of a sled left to repair and lets hope that never happens. I am doing something similar to my 08 this summer.GOOD LIUCK!! ;)!

Back