• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SW clutching and any tips

Kevin

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
I was going to get a tune this year on my 22 but dealer told me all sleds need to be scanned now before warranty, so if you have a tune warranty can be declined.

So I ride with a tuned srx, tuned thundercat, 900r and a new Mach and don’t want to be last…lol

I have big venom kit, 33/35 helix, TP orange spring at 2-3 and a xs 825 belt

Any other sneaky tricks to use ?

Yeah, don't try to keep up with your buddies.
I'd definitely consider removing your transfer rod/blocks & a new center spring in skid to help with launch.

I doubt there is going to be anything you can do to consistently keep up with a tuned winder using a stock one. I would consider buying a flasher + sm tunes (no hardware changes) then flash the sled back to stock before taking it to the dealer if you are that concerned. Otherwise, you are not going to keep up with anything but maaaybe the mach and 900r (assuming both are not tuned).

I would suggest getting a tune...

Your "sneaky tricks" will not even be close to a tuned sled. You may very well get outrun by a pure bone stock sled once you start messing with the stock clutch setup in fact. The stock clutching is great for a stocker after you get the sled broke in.

Oh, and break it in hard. None of this taking it easy on it either. Warm it up and use lots of full throttle to seat the rings right off the bat, then change oil early. Then add your tune bundle!

You might be able to buy a different ecu and put the tune on it. Then when you take it in for warranty you put in the stock ecu. I've heard of people doing this, but have never confirmed that it can be done. In theory if this would work, make sure you get a bunch of km on the original ecu so that things don't look suspicious lol.

I was going to get a tune this year on my 22 but dealer told me all sleds need to be scanned now before warranty, so if you have a tune warranty can be declined.

So I ride with a tuned srx, tuned thundercat, 900r and a new Mach and don’t want to be last…lol

I have big venom kit, 33/35 helix, TP orange spring at 2-3 and a xs 825 belt

Any other sneaky tricks to use ?
Go back to the stock helix stock belt stock springs and run the secondary spring in the 3rd hole , you should get your top end back

Don’t think I want to spend all that &$ on a tune and flasher

I’ve loved my current set up on my 21.
Interesting to hear guys saying leave clutching alone.
Never used a 8jp belt on any of my sleds for more than break in.

You can get the lower HP tune for about $500 from Hurricane or TD, taking you to about 235-240 HP
Don't need to change any clutching if you don't want to for the lowest tunes.
Don't need to buy a flasher.
Don't get much more bang-for-the-buck than that.

I didn’t mind the price of the 240 tune
Just don’t want Yamaha to have any reason to cancel any warranty work

What is so important about the warranty and why worry about it?

These engines have nothing go bad. If your worried about the engine then do like I said, break it in to make sure all is OK, then tune away.

The dealer wont deny a claim on the chassis or driveline. Warranty is a moot point on these sleds. It only gets used on the driveline.

Not worried about the motor at all
Was told that if tuned Yamaha won’t even cover the driveshaft

Don't believe everything you're told.
Do you have a good dealer? Have you asked them their position on the matter?

I have an awesome dealer
That’s who told me about the scanning before warranty

I had electronic shock warranty refused because I was tuned. It's nonsense, but it is what it is.
Still worth it though for the fun factor, just trade every couple years if you can't do your own fixing.
I agree with Knapp, just put a few tanks of fuel through it first to make sure nothing is wrong, then tune it.
I didn't make it home on my first ride when I bought my first Winder(chaincase).
So not a bad idea to put some miles on first.

If the dealer was decent, he'd work with you on it, if not they won't, and thats when I'd be looking for a different dealer. There are ways to get things warrantied as long as the tune didn't cause the failure. Not asking them to de-fraud Yamaha, but they just need to be smart about it and be realistic and fair. If the tune didn't cause the failure it should be covered, plain and simple.

If you don't want to tune it, be prepared to get beat now and again by that Mach, and those tuned 998 will lay waste to you, its pretty much that simple. No amount of clutching will get you the power you need without some more smoke under the hood. Stockers are fun don't get me wrong, but don't expect to pickup a tenth or two in trail trim as its just not going to happen, unless you want to setup for a full on drag setup then that's a different story, but I doubt that's what your looking for.

Back