• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TD mod stock mufflers - Power but quiet?

I have TD super quiet 3" which people at trail stops say i sound like a ferrari coming dwn trail, and i dont find it loud but do not want the quebec federalies nailing me next week end... ive gotten away with it for a year now but have a itchy feeling i might get nailed next week soo ive ordered a 3" stock mod that was sent this morning. you are correct the bung is just a 1/4" turned to far and the wires from 02 touch shield, ive put heat tape over but they still get smokin hot. i hope the mod stock is better, its prob not that bad with stock manifold as you can push shielding in for clearance but with headers the shielding is tight against pipes.
I have the 3" mod stock (and 2.5) it has a bite to it but I am sure quieter than what you have now. What I do know is it is about 1.4 db louder than the 2.5 mod stock, this is about 25% more sound energy and about 10% louder to the human ear. The 3" mod stock is a good compromise. I like stock muffler best but does not perform well.. hard to have it all. lol

I have TD super quiet 3" which people at trail stops say i sound like a ferrari coming dwn trail, and i dont find it loud but do not want the quebec federalies nailing me next week end... ive gotten away with it for a year now but have a itchy feeling i might get nailed next week soo ive ordered a 3" stock mod that was sent this morning. you are correct the bung is just a 1/4" turned to far and the wires from 02 touch shield, ive put heat tape over but they still get smokin hot. i hope the mod stock is better, its prob not that bad with stock manifold as you can push shielding in for clearance but with headers the shielding is tight against pipes.
Let us know what you think of the comparison between the two after your trip. I'm going to choose one of them in the offseason.

Mike says with the stage 6 i shouldnt see much power loss between 3"SQ and 3" mod stock... but im not going to race ... its a couples weekend and ill prob be standing up most of time... looking back.... "where the f is everyone"?? lol

Max how did that trip go with the super mod stock muffler? What were you thoughts on sounds and comparison to the 3" super quiet

Max how did that trip go with the super mod stock muffler? What were you thoughts on sounds and comparison to the 3" super quiet
Sorry, sled is now away in summer storage but I replaced a D&D stock mod muffler with this muffler and will say it has a deeper tone at idle and definitely in the 20 mph to 30 mph area it is a tad louder but anything after that it’s quiet. I would say no louder than the D&D. It’s the 4000rpm til 5000 rpm range. Really tight trail stuff where louder. And the D&D is stock inlet to 3 inch outlet.

Sorry, sled is now away in summer storage but I replaced a D&D stock mod muffler with this muffler and will say it has a deeper tone at idle and definitely in the 20 mph to 30 mph area it is a tad louder but anything after that it’s quiet. I would say no louder than the D&D. It’s the 4000rpm til 5000 rpm range. Really tight trail stuff where louder. And the D&D is stock inlet to 3 inch outlet.

Sidehogger hit the nail on the head. I too have run a 3 inch SQ, 2.5 SQ and a SMM. While at idle or running low speeds such as in the garage, loading on a trailer, crossing parking lots, road crossings, etc. the 3inch is definitely louder. Is it obnoxiously loud? No.... but bystanders can tell you have an aftermarket muffler. Imo...if you live where there are noise laws, the 3inch will not pass at a checkpoint. At 50-60 mph, the 3 inch is no louder than the other two and noise is not an issue. I never noticed any drone and it has the nicest sound when you open it up.

I've had quite a few mufflers over the years and imo when comparing noise and power, the SQ 2.5 is the quietest most powerful muffler out there.

Sorry my friends, havent been on site for bit, the trip was awesome, Rpm was same with clutching...as set with 3" superquiet, did find it was just a little slowr getting over the 9000rpm mark but nothing to worry about, def quieter. we also did the flush 3" to belly with 2" sticking dwn that was welded in with 3 bridges. now this is with stage 6 at 330hp auto tune setting.

sooo fall project in full swing, ordered the fuel upgrade from PFI .... didnt need the pump but they dont sell just the top, installing a nice inline billet fuel filter from JEGS speed, with AN fittings, still keeping my adjustable pressure regulator from TD , replaced all that vinyl shink fuel line with high presure fuel injection hose for feed and return. drilled all rivets out and installed all stainless riv nuts,for side panels have taken all suspension appart including steering and replaced all pivot points with Mainway Solutions brass greasable bustings. redid all gaskets and seals on the chain case along with new cover that has no sight glass. repacked drive bearing and changed brake fluid to prestone silicone after splitting caliper. alighned the belt as Knapp does by having primary pressed in to simulate half throttle and put belt ontp sec half way down and turn the two till belt is tight then measure with staight edge against outer flat surface of sec... along side of belt then set distance from straight edge to belt in two places and should be equal then put hims behind to keep that measurement. redoing all my boots on throttle body as i hav a little bubbling at 20psi, sooo ordered new boots and will smear around flanges with Urethane to be 100% sealed when clamped. LET IT SNOW.

Back