• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Arcitc Cat Float suspension thread

Progress on the 2007 m8 162 in the stock 08 nytro tunnel.

We have the frount mount installed according to specs nikolai posted above.
1.75" forward and 2.5" up.

However, the approach angle looks kinda crazy. Too steep maybe?

Progress on the 2007 m8 162 in the stock 08 nytro tunnel.

We have the frount mount installed according to specs nikolai posted above.
1.75" forward and 2.5" up.

However, the approach angle looks kinda crazy. Too steep maybe?

Picture

Attachments

• IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 183
Another view of the approach angle.

Figuring how to post pics with my new phone

Attachments

• IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 195
We mounted the rear drop brackets and mock mounted the skid .
The approach angle still looks weird.
Both compared to the drivers and because the front of the track doesn't touch the ground.

Think I might try to mount the front in the stock holes and go from there.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 197
Nuknuk

Post a picture of your front mounting position on your tunnel so we can see where you put the mount. Since most of the rivets are common across RTX/MTX/XTX, it easy to see where you are and get a close postion.

Also, can you measure the length of your front suspension arms from the tunnel mount to the rail mount. It should be between 16.125" and 16.25". The front arm sets the geometry and you should make sure your arms are the same as the ones we are using.

Did you try tensioning the track or is it because you don't have drop brackets set up yet? For testing I am now using some 8" x 12" steel plates 1/4" thick so I can play with drop bracket positioning. Cheap and easy. No rivets, I just use the two 10mm bolt holes on the tunnel to secure the temporary drop brackets in place.

I am finally getting somewhere on the XTX 144 to CF 141 conversion, and once I get a few more days under my belt, I'll post the findings, but the short version is that although M skid and CF skid share alot of parts, they do not share alot of geometry, especially if you run the stock CF shock up front (which is a much longer 12.5 versus the 11.25 shock on the M).

I am still working on the CAD, but to confirm what Nikolai said, there isn't going to be much of a setback issues between the 141/144. Just going from 7" to 8" rear wheels sucks up almost 1.5" of track length.

The big difference I found is that the CF skid has much longer travel (again, IF you are using the longer stock front CF shock) This, in turn, moves the front mount way up and back a bit relative to the M. With the suspension just sitting level on the bench, my rear mount is 12.7 above the bottom of the hyfax (about the same as the M), but my front mount is now 13.6 above the hyfax (versus 11.8 on the M). With the front is so high, it has shortened the horizontal axle spacing to 30.5 inches which is way less than the AC M sleds with a spacing of 31.25...all because of one longer CF shock.

I guess what I am saying is this won't be as straight forward as the AC M conversion. Mostly because the front arm vertical position will be driven to some extent by the amount of limiter strap you intend to use/need, 'cause if you leave the strap all the way out, the upper front axle mount will probably rub on the inside of the track. This also explains why so many CF's have wear on their rail tips. If you ran the limiters out, the tips of the rails would be into the track line big time.

Pictures coming

OTM

OTM -

My front suspension arms measure 16.25" from tunnel mount to rail mount.

We have the drop brackets, temporarily tacked on and the skid mounted.

The drop brackets are off the 07 m8 the skid came from. They seem to fit good.

Yeah tensioned the track didn't seem to change the approach angle.

When my 153 Ice Age rails show up, I'll post some side pics of my suspension mounted on both the 141 CF rails, 153 IA rails, and with the crossfire & M front shocks, and measurements of each combination on the bench.

For what it is worth I have a stock tunnel and I only moved mine up 1.25" and it seems to line up pretty well.

One thing I will say is with the shape of the rails on the cat how they stay pretty flat at the end it would be in your best interest to get an anti stab kit. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Can you post a profile picture showing the front mount and rear mount with the skid in?

I have access to a bare 07 crossfire tunnel and bulk head at my buddies. At a quick glance the drop brackets in the rear looked like the only difference. Mount to mount was still 31 1/4 ish. We looked really quick over a few beers.

Back