• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Legend UPBushman

That all makes sense. Sounds like a good setup. On Polaris you can drop & roll the chain case to improve the approach angle.
That's good info. I only weigh #165. Most sleds don't drop an inch when I take a seat. I haven't touched the suspension, it looks like it should set up well 4 me. The guy I bought the sled from looked to be about 6'2" , 220# pretty much the same setup as you.
What do you have your limiter strap set at ? You can suck the limiter strap up to improve the approach angle, then compensate with a softer torsion setting. It all revolves around a riders weight. And snow! Lots of snow.

I mentioned earlier that the left ski appeared to be bow-legged. I took a closer look and saw that the spindle is bent. The bend starts under the lower A-arm. I put a straight edge on the spindle. There is at least 3/16" of an inch gap at the bottom. The A-arms look to be straight. No cracks in the welds. I think I got lucky there.
Do you know anybody that might have a spindle for the left side? 2011 mtx.

Here is a dumb question. The oil filter does have right hand threads on it, right? I had a strap wrench on the filter and all it did was slip. I hammered a dozen dimples in the strap. No luck. I had plenty of room to work with. A good hold on the filter, I can't believe it didn't budge!
Any tips?

I have a whole spare MTX front suspension from my 09’. Spindles are the same for all years and models. As for the filter, I used a pair of Large Channel Locks to get the factory filter off while the front clip was removed, it was that tight.

Well I work on heavy trucks for a living so I have a filter strap I used at work at home. It gets every filter off I have ever put it on. Might be only 1/3 of the size it was when I started but it is off.

Jam a long Phillips screw driver thru both sides of the can to break it loose. That's the only way I could get my original filter off the 1st time. G.B.

That all makes sense. Sounds like a good setup. On Polaris you can drop & roll the chain case to improve the approach angle.
That's good info. I only weigh #165. Most sleds don't drop an inch when I take a seat. I haven't touched the suspension, it looks like it should set up well 4 me. The guy I bought the sled from looked to be about 6'2" , 220# pretty much the same setup as you.
What do you have your limiter strap set at ? You can suck the limiter strap up to improve the approach angle, then compensate with a softer torsion setting. It all revolves around a riders weight. And snow! Lots of snow.

I mentioned earlier that the left ski appeared to be bow-legged. I took a closer look and saw that the spindle is bent. The bend starts under the lower A-arm. I put a straight edge on the spindle. There is at least 3/16" of an inch gap at the bottom. The A-arms look to be straight. No cracks in the welds. I think I got lucky there.
Do you know anybody that might have a spindle for the left side? 2011 mtx.

Here is a dumb question. The oil filter does have right hand threads on it, right? I had a strap wrench on the filter and all it did was slip. I hammered a dozen dimples in the strap. No luck. I had plenty of room to work with. A good hold on the filter, I can't believe it didn't budge!
Any tips?

I had the same problem once with my strap. I used a large channel lock plier's & it worked great.

All good ideas. I was close to pulling that front clip. The filter strap was a tight fit to start. It only spun maybe 10 degrees on a 360 degree scale, but it didn't bite. I cleaned the filter and the strap with acetone. No luck. So I punched some dimples in the the strap for a better grip, then some more,nope. I put a small nail between the filter and the strap but it just rolled with it. Then a sheet rock screw. Then a larger screw and a second screw. It finally spun the filter.
This is a long shot, I have a 12 ton shop press. That spindle/steering knuckle should have cracked or fractured. I'd call it cast aluminum, with other maulable alloys to bend like it did. Like I said. A long shot.
Thanks guys

Well I work on heavy trucks for a living so I have a filter strap I used at work at home. It gets every filter off I have ever put it on. Might be only 1/3 of the size it was when I started but it is off.

Now that’s funny and true, it’s off!

I need to work on pictures Well, I straightened the spindle on the press. I was a bit surprised to bend it back as easy as it did. It bent as if it were made of steel. Obviously it isn't. Anyway. It fixed the problem. The ski is straight now. The sled must have handled like crap, on that outside edge of the carbide. Question to all. Does this compromise the spindle,to the point where it is unsafe safe? Has anyone tried this?

I have seen a number posts here where riders shift those spacers either side of the spindle, to increase the width between the skis. Was that the intention of Yamaha? Or not. It seems to me it would put excess weight on the inside of the spindle

that was the intenion when yamaha built the sleds. i run mine straight up. one of my brothers runs his on extra wide.

i would get a spindle coming. i would not trust one that you bent back, especially an aluminum one other than to get it home in an emergency.

that was the intenion when yamaha built the sleds. i run mine straight up. one of my brothers runs his on extra wide.

i would get a spindle coming. i would not trust one that you bent back, especially an aluminum one other than to get it home in an emergency.
Right! That spindle breaks even at 10mph it will dig in like a plow and flip your sled so fast you wont know what happened. Saw it many times on quads. Dont use it get a replacement.

Yeah, I have to agree with you guys. I could not really get on board with the idea. Thanks for weighing in on this one. I priced a new one on Sat. Ouch! $270. Better safe than sorry..

About the spindles. The latest SnoTech shows the ski-doo adjustable ski stance. It's different than Yamaha. The spacer goes from side to side. The ski will slide back and forth. Slick idea. There is a lever that locks on either side of the spindle. Pull it up, slide it over and lock it back down. The article says it takes 5 seconds.....In The Showroom! Frozen snow/ice could make that a real problem on the trail. Most riders will make that adjustment before they hit the trail anyway.

check on here. there was quite a few phazers getting scrapped out. possible you can get a used one.

check on here. there was quite a few phazers getting scrapped out. possible you can get a used one.

I'm not sure where to look for these Phazers? Or Am I missing the obvious. Thanks for the heads up.

I picked up my spindle (steering knuckle) on Friday. I ordered new boots for the tie rods. They tell me that the boots are coming international. It is what it is. I guess. The sled is older. I can't expect dealerships to have all parts on hand. (Can you imagine the inventory). Butt, I bought the oil filter that was in stock. The guy takes it out of the box, I tell them that it's not the right filter because it is smaller in diameter, and it was too tall. They say it is the only one listed for that application. I have seen oil filters change in configuration before so ok. Well it's on and I fire it up. Oil is leaking. Now I can't get it off. Now the front clip will have to come off. I had too buy the new filter

The moral of this rant is..... Know what part you are buying,and have the part number in hand !

Oh, I need a tie rod too

i just saw someone scrapping a phazer gt. they sometimes list them in the classifieds by the yearand model.

Back