• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Rockmeister Express

steve 05 RX-1 said:
Hey Rock if it will help motivate you I can send you some pics when we are out riding tomorrow :tg:

*mutters*
MudRucker... lol
Ya just wait buddy, 1 week! Maybe 2... Laffin
You and Al are both in for it!!! ;):D :drink:
And yes, got your text pic... lol

Kinger; I will keep that in mind.
Thinking use the existing lever from the parking brake at the brake end, for the end of the cable and adapt it to the reverse mechanism.
Not totally sure how this is going to work yet, but have a good idea.
(Haven't had a chance to put alot of time into it yet.)
Will make the reverse a pull UP, rather than down as the reverse at the chaincase is currently, keeps the current cable length correct.
Probably the only custom part will be the cable jacket mount/adjustment.
Will make 2 when I do it. ;)!
Need to also make a mount for the reverse beeper switch.
A friend disconnected his beeper until he forgot it was in reverse and re-started his sled and promptly ran into the guy behind him... :o|
Was too funny after the fact, and kinda drove home the point that the beeper is a good thing to have!
Thinking the switch mount will be part of the cable jacket mount, make it simple and easy.

I may or may not have the reverse thing done before I ride,
You see... I have to ummmm...
"show" Steve how to ride... Laffin (insert beat up Steve emoticon here)
The reverse mechanism is currently lower on the priority list than riding! :-o

If everyone could pray to the Snow Gods to keep it coming and for Mark to be blessed with paint time for my hood, that would be awesome!!!

:rocks:

PS If anyone is into Voodoo, is good at it, and needs a pic of Mark, let me know... Laffin

Great pics, keep em coming

rockmeister said:
If everyone could pray to the Snow Gods to keep it coming.
I think they're listening. The weather guru's are calling for another 5 to 10 inches tonight thru tomorrow. We have 2 ft. + on the ground now. Better get that sled put back together soon. :tg:

Superman said:
rockmeister said:
If everyone could pray to the Snow Gods to keep it coming.
I think they're listening. The weather guru's are calling for another 5 to 10 inches tonight thru tomorrow. We have 2 ft. + on the ground now. Better get that sled put back together soon. :tg:

I know, definitely working on it!
Shooting for riding this weekend! YEAH! ;)!

This means anything that isn't required to make the sled ridable will drop on the priority list. lol
Will still do the stuff, just may not be this week.

Thanks RX! Yours is looking great as well! ;)!

Was out of town at a friends this weekend, used his press while I was there for the drivers. Thanks Skip! :jump:
The press has a patent date of 1906 on it!
Seriously old, yet really tough and a cool design.
Gives a great feel for the amount of force you are putting into what you are pressing.
The only downside is ratcheting the press handle hundreds of times for a long press, like the shafts!!! Whew! :exc:

Pressed the new Doo Extrovert drivers off the Doo shaft.
Pressed the existing Yamaha drivers off the Yammi shaft.
The Doo shaft is 1.110"
The Yammi shaft is 1.060"
A difference of .050"

Had to figure out a way to make up .050"+
Usually Mylar will work well for such things, went to a local store to find some as they used to use mylar sheet for book report covers.
No luck... Apparently they don't make them from mylar anymore.

20s6jbs.jpg

Ended up finding the report covers, but of a plastic resembling polyethylene.
Bought them, cut a strip out and soaked it in gasoline.
As a general rule, if gasoline won't eat it, most petroleum products won't eat it.
Held up fine.
Ok, so far.

Found a plastic that was .015" thick.
Figured twice around would give me .060" thickness, twice around plus one on each side (.015x2x2).
67ms7o.jpg

Cut out, wrapped the plastic in a roll, and slid it part way into the driver.
2yl8pl5.jpg

You don't have to slide the shim this far into the driver, only an inch or so.

Let the roll unwrap a bit and slid it over the Yamaha shaft.
20svz84.jpg

Made sure the previous hex on the drivers was lined up with the hex on the shaft.
2h6rfk0.jpg

Started pressing the driver on the shaft.
I suspected that the shim plastic would slide on the driver plastic as it was pressed on, rather than the metal shaft, but wasn't sure.
Was correct.

15p0ar4.jpg

I did one just part way as a test to see how well the plastic shim did under compression.
It compressed .001"
Compressed just enough to eliminate the matte finish of the plastic, so it did good under compression. (The main force it will ever see.)
Going in.
etxyko.jpg

After driver is pressed on it.
8y6ik8.jpg

However, it took a bit less force to put the driver on, as it did to take it off the doo shaft, so I added another turn of the plastic sheet.
The output dimension with 2 wraps of shim plastic, reading 1.113"
rk4f9d.jpg

.003" interference fit on plastic, wasn't quite enough, so used 3 wraps.

This made the sheet length 10" for a finished shim thickness of approximately .084"
Cut the shim sheet length to an whole number of revolutions around the shaft(3), so that it didn't make the driver eccentric on the shaft.

102ul51.jpg

This worked well!
Force required to press the extroverts on, was now just a touch more than the force required to remove them.
I'm happy with that! :drink:

Indexed the 2nd driver and pressed on the shaft in the same manner.
Note the hard to see indexing arrow.
The indexing arrows MUST be on the same hex flat!
I marked the outside edge of the extrovert with a marker to note the index arrow and the orientation of the drivers to make it easy to see at a glance.
29xxgtt.jpg

Fine tuned driver locations on the shaft to the proper measurements.
Will show proper dimensions and a drawing in a post to follow.
Trimmed excess plastic shim that was sticking out from under the drivers.
tashls.jpg

zy9087.jpg

Finished Extrovert drivers on shaft.
2jdp75j.jpg

Note the black indexing marks are lined up, and the clip cut-outs on the drivers are to the outside.

Overall, this went well! :4STroke:

Extrovert Driver Dimensions

These are the dimensions for the Doo extrovert driver install on the RX-1.

Many thanks to Alatalo for the drawing and basic wording of this.

From the LH side (speedometer side) of the RX-1 shaft to the centerline of the LH Ski-Doo extrovert driver: 4-9/16"
From the RH side (sprocket side) of the RX-1 shaft to the centerline of the RH Ski-Doo extrovert driver: 6-9/16"

Distance between the centerlines of the Ski-Doo extroverts: 8-7/8"

A) Distance from speedometer end of shaft to inside edge of LH driver: 4-7/8 to 5"
B) Distance between the "inside surfaces" of the Ski-Doo extroverts: 7"
C) Distance from speedometer end of shaft to inside edge of RH driver: 13-3/4 to 13-7/8"

50rtcy.jpg

Thanks!

Checked with Alan, he didn't have any more then. : (
Ulmer is great!
Would have gotten them from him, if they did.
If they weren't installed on a large (1-1/8") shaft to start with, wouldn't have had to shim them.

My custom rail extensions came in!!!
WOOHOOOO!!!
Thanks Lance!

:jump:

You can see the tip up part of the extension.
It is 6 degrees just like the new Nytro.

2wqs68j.jpg

Off to tear the Doo skid apart, check everything on it, and fit the extensions.
Also going to extend the hyfax mounts onto the extensions.
Will post pics. :-o

Thanks Guys!

Am hoping the tipped up rail will allow me to throw the rear end around alot more like a 121", never worked well with the straight 136".

Yeah Jake, Get moving! lol

Worked on the Doo skid yesterday.
Dis-assembled and have one rail free to test fit extensions.
The extensions don't fit exactly right.
Doo uses multiple different rails and these aren't exactly what we thought, yet are close.
Had to mill out some more material on the extensions to make them fit correctly.

Laid out drill holes, designed stiffener plate, and hyfax mount for extensions.

Installed 126 studs on new track.
I know, 126 studs for a 136" track doesn't sound like much, but all I really use them for is safety stopping and cornering, especially on ice, they do that and I am happy! LaLaLa
Only had 96 in the Ripsaw and it had too much traction at times.
Besides, can alway add more if required.
(Unlikely though, I usually end up taking some out.)

2ilxy7q.jpg

They stick out a perfect 1/4" above the track paddles.

Mmmmmmmmmm...
A Virgin Track & Virgin Studs... Delicious... ;)! (This wasn't the emoticon I REALLY wanted for this, lol)
lol

Cleaning up all parts, installing new bearings in drivetrain, and re-assembling today.

Spoke with Mark my painter yesterday, humidity was way too high to paint, he promised to have my parts painted today...
Keep your Mark Voodoo dolls at the ready please. LMAO

WOW - nice work, pretty cool running colored backer plates :)

rxrider said:
WOW - nice work, pretty cool running colored backer plates :)

Thanks Jon!

Have had great luck with the plastic backers, and it's NOT like I'm easy on them! lol

Here is the original Extensions.
2wqs68j.jpg

33tghmg.jpg

These are the mods I had done on them so far.
Note the corners missing to clear the snubbers on the Doo skid, and the additional milling I did yesterday.
Still need to dremel them to clean them up.

Hhahhahahha!

So is my Harley and my GTP, they match...
Laffin :-o

Besides, you know how cheap I am! lol
ANY money I spend that isn't required, is money I don't have for RIDING!
They were cheap! ROFLMAO

Back