• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking of a new Apex to replace my 06

stealth800

Extreme
I've been toying with the idea of getting a new one, thought about the Viper or a nitro but I love the sound and power of the Apex. I spent most of the afternoon searching about the 2011 and up Apex and I think i'm set on an xtx but since mine is a shorty 121 i'm concerned about the xtx in the twisty's. Many have said they handle well though. My Apex has a mega float in it now and it works well just not sure how the new 128 mono compares to the 144 dual shock in studders and medium bumps and the durability of both suspensions.Need some input from guys the have either one. Thanks.

I replaced my 06 attak with a 12 apex se 128. No regrets. I did not care about the power steering when I got the sled but I really think it helps in the bumps. I miss it when I ride other sleds. However, If I were in your shoes I would try to test drive a new viper to make sure you don't have any regrets. Another thing to think about is that the apex is a proven design and the viper is a first year model and you can remember how much fun that was with yours and mine 06. To further confuse this post I really like my 12 se, I think it is the best sled I have ever owned.

wak

I'm curious about the Viper only because i'm sure it has better bump capability and is lighter than the Apex.In riding one for 6 years now i've learned it's strong points and weak points, That's why I was wondering if the xtx bridges the gap a little as far as how capable the sled is in rough stuff.My 06 does pretty dam well in it now so i'm not looking for much.I know it won't be a ditch banger. For me part of the thrill of riding that sled is the sound and refinemint of the Apex engine.

I had a 2007 Apex RTX. I just bought a 2011 apex 128 and only had a chance to put 200 km's before this warm weather hit. I did get a chance to ride some smooth trails as well as about 20 miles of studder bumps ( no G- bumps thou) In the studder bumps there is no comparison between the 2007 apex (121 " ) and the 2011 apex ( 128 "). 2011 did warm the sliders enough to up to bring the idiot light on at 34 degrees F. I rode the xtx and the 128 ' on a yamaha days demo and found little difference. I got the best buy on the reg, apex 128 and that's why I went for it.

stealth800 said:
I'm curious about the Viper only because i'm sure it has better bump capability and is lighter than the Apex.In riding one for 6 years now i've learned it's strong points and weak points, That's why I was wondering if the xtx bridges the gap a little as far as how capable the sled is in rough stuff.My 06 does pretty dam well in it now so i'm not looking for much.I know it won't be a ditch banger. For me part of the thrill of riding that sled is the sound and refinemint of the Apex engine.
When I get my next new one its going to be the shorter one because the xtx does not ride as good. It works better in loose conditions in the handling department but not good on hard pack it has to much bite and causes more ski lift. I did upgrade my rear skid with transfer link like star uses much needed in this skid to get better ride. The shorter track still is easier to handle and feels much more agile. That is my opinion. It really depends on what your driving on and whatyour driving style is.

You said it-power and sound of the Apex.was also thinking of buying a Viper on the looks alone..Nytro is too but,nothing beats the Apex engine in the sled world! imo. its MY snowmobile street/trail bike! i have never ridden another sled (stock) that makes me feel soo good when im cruising 80-90+mph and i push the throttle! my 06 gt is not stock,that helpled with my decision. i dont care how heavy it is,

I have a '13 Apex XTX, and once it is dialed in a little, it can handle the twisties with most of the best of 'em. I consider myself a fairly aggressive rider, and once you loosen the spring pressure on the skis from factory, it is a completely different sled with the corners(I found that to be the biggest improvement for the handling). I've even gotten compliments from Ski-doo riders debunking the notion that an Apex is too heavy to maneuver in tight quarters. The sound of the motor can't be beat. In the small stuff, a little throttle and you can ride over those bumps. If the trails are truly whipped, you may have to back it down a bit, but there was only a few times this year that I thought that was necessary, as I felt the sled could handle most that it encountered. Good luck with your decision. FYI, I came off a 136" Viper.

The 144 will not produce the ride quality the mono does. If you like the mono ride you will regret the XTX. We have 06 mono 121, 07 mono 136, 2013 mono II 128, and XTX, first three ride very similar, the XTX rides more like a pro-action. The XTX handles just fine, about like the 136.

the XTX rides very well and handles great when dailed in. the monoshock does take the smaller chatter better but other then that the XTX i find is way better in the bigger whoops. don't thnk you would go wrong with either one, both handle great. ;)!

I love my xtx handles with the best of them in the twisties after dialed in bridges the bumps great. awsome off trail capabilities great all around sled.when going thru the bumps you just lift the skis and ride it out on the skid kinda like a motocross bike.

I really like my new 2013 XTX. About 1200 miles on it over the last two weekends. Heading up again this weekend if the conditons hold up. They should as they are getting snow today. Love the EPS and the way it bridges the bumps. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the skis yet. Looking at the Curves, Snow Pro's and the tuner skis. The Curves actually kick up a little spray and I'm betting it will help with Hyfax wear! The SE has a more cushy ride from what I hear.

I think the jury is out, it is all up to your riding style and how much you get off trail. I rode the shorty and the xtx and I really liked the xtx better. I feel the xtx hooks up much better and no problem on the twisties. Also, I put a set of tuner ski's on the Apex last trip up, put 750 miles on them and really liked them for on the trail.

Sportbike or Goldwing?
If a person is looking for a racing sport bike? Buy a Apex. If a person is looking for a Honda Goldwing, buy a nice Yamaha RS Venture GT (Very nice sled by the way) Obviously Touring snowmobiles have a longer track length than either Performance or Trail snowmobiles. Why do they have a longer track? I am not sure but I would think ride quality has something to do with it.

I had no choice but to buy the XTX because I ride in deep untouched snow. However I think the XTX rides better on the trails because the longer 144 track bridges the bumps better simply because its longer. The truth is if a person is worried about the bumps, then the Apex is probably not for that person. Most people I know spend little time actually sitting on the seat. They are either "standing" to handle the bumps going 100 mph or leaning way off their seats going around corners at high speed in the deep snow.

APEX....... there is no substitute :Rockon:

Odd question, and not to deter you from a new sled, but is your current Apex giving you troubles?
You mentioned '11 and up Apex, so I'd assume you'd be mainly interested in a used sled? I guess I'd say that unless you're looking to get into a power steering model, why not mod the sled you have to make it what you want? If you're like the other 99.999% of us, you've probably already spent more on the one you have than what you can sell it for, you may lose more selling yours to buy another used one than what you'd spend on mods?
Just a thought?

Back