• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

This may save your Nytro motor..

LeeKo said:
Roest said:
gomer said:
Roest said:
Sorry to hear about your loss. That truly sucks. Here's my cure for the many shortcomings of the stock piece. This protects the front heat exchanger as well, which is left extremely vulnerable in stock form. Wreck that and the sled becomes a possible write off as well. On a side note there is a Nytro engine for sale in the Snowest classifieds.

This looks niiiiiiiiiccceee!! Very slick.

Thanks gomer. Every Nytro should be running one of these. It's cheap insurance when you think about the consequences. Its way nicer, better fitting and fastened than the plastic alternatives.

The skidplate is even slicker in person. Very easy install, high quality and great fit. Roest talked me into buying...I am glad he did, especially after reading this post.

X2. That skidplate is the bomb. Got one as well. It replaces the stock panel that "killed" your motor. This $180 skidplate would have saved your $5000 motor. Let this be a lesson to others!!!

I have a question. Is everybody having this failure or marks on their oil filter running an accessory skid plate? From what I have been told by Yamaha is that it is caused by ice build up between the two skid plates that presses the aluminum bars against the engine.

As for the oil pressure dropping and the engine quiting. It is totally true that the engine will die if oil pressure drops. The sensor held open and closes when pressure drops. This signals the ECU to turn off the main EFI relay and dispaly code 30. Now you cannot restart the engine after this happens unless the key has been turned off. This resets the ECU's connection to the switch. Now the way the switch is designed it will only cut the engine if oil pressure drops.

dubla92 said:
I have a question. Is everybody having this failure or marks on their oil filter running an accessory skid plate? From what I have been told by Yamaha is that it is caused by ice build up between the two skid plates that presses the aluminum bars against the engine.

As for the oil pressure dropping and the engine quiting. It is totally true that the engine will die if oil pressure drops. The sensor held open and closes when pressure drops. This signals the ECU to turn off the main EFI relay and dispaly code 30. Now you cannot restart the engine after this happens unless the key has been turned off. This resets the ECU's connection to the switch. Now the way the switch is designed it will only cut the engine if oil pressure drops.

I believe its too little too late on these engines if they run out of oil. I have that large snow trapping skid plate om also. The filter has the paint missing and i have scuffing of the bottom of the engine as well. #$%&*

dubla92 said:

damn, I suppose I should take my skid plate off and check that out then. With all the ice I see packed up in there this makes perfect sense. Constant pressure from ice build up would create the wear marks everyone is talking about. Thanks for the tip.

2008 Nytro RTX said:
Correct me if I am wrong,But he was leaking oil. This means the oil pressure and oil level both dropped. I am sure it came up on the dash. Not bashing anyone here,Thank you for the heads up. Just stating my opinion. When the oil level is low the light comes on,I had this happen to me last year. The sled does not shut off
I wouldn't be so sure of that light coming on as there was a guy with a new 2010 Vector GT who left the ring on and his oil leaked out and his light didn't come on either. Luckily he saw it shooting out and stopped the sled. He took the extra ring off and filled it up with oil and it worked fine. No light came on and now with this situation makes me think they should have some type of low oil indicator light.

dubla92 said:

You are right in this regard. The circuit is normally open during operation. I guess the question is, at what point (pressure) does the oil pressure switch close and shut things down? I agree with enticeraised when he says its too little too late. If an engine is doing 7000+ rpm and running on minimal oil pressure things are going to go sideways fast.

dubla92 said:

The factory skidplate is a PIECE OF JUNK!!!!! They should all be replaced with something that will do the job. Here's why.

1. It is made of THIN plastic and provides little protection for the bottom of the subframe.
2. It is fastened with 5 plastic push type fasteners that do not attach it securely to the chassis.
3.It provides minimal protection for the bottom (sump) of the engine.
4. It provides even less protection for the front heat exchanger.
5. The aluminum stiffeners integrated into the skidplate come very close to the sump and oil filter even when everything is new and straight. Once the skidplate has been deformed (it will retain the deformed shape because of the aluminum stiffeners) by impacts, or hydraulic force (caused by ice expanding between stacked skidplates) the aluminum stiffeners will start to rub or cut into the sump cover and oil filter.

To answer your question, some of the people I've talked to have associated the problem with an accessory skidplate and others not. It will occur either way. Check your clearances. They are scary close....even on a new sled. That Yamaha pointed the finger at you for the add on skidplate is interesting, because they endorse them by selling them as a genuine accessory.

09nytro said:
can u use the oem skid plate with roest racing plate i like the looks of the skid plate

What do you mean by OEM skidplate? If you mean the add on accessory skidplate, then yes you could, but there really is no need. I don't like to stack body panels so I wouldn't recommend it. Its a bad spot to stack one panel on another because of the melt freeze cycling caused by engine heat.

Back