• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

This may save your Nytro motor..

RealDeal said:
Found a 09 sub frame today straightened it and gusseted, welded the sump cover and put it all back together , well almost had to make a new belly pan cover and will be installing the skid plate tonight, I'll be ready to ride tomorrow.

Nice :drink:

took my skid plate off today, to check if I had any contact... and sure enough the paint is chipped off my oil filter and the oil pan has been rubbing a little bit. Its rubbed just enough to be polished up. No damage thanks to this thread!

This is why I love this site! Thanks again.

What to you think.
Should I pull the ribs off only or the entire inner tray?
I have the extra Yamaha standard skid plate on there over it all.

I am not quite sure, but when my sled loses oil pressure it shuts down and i get a code, atleast everytime shes track side up it has. So not sure what to think...

Its a code 30 if anyone is wondering.

Zakre said:
I am not quite sure, but when my sled loses oil pressure it shuts down and i get a code, atleast everytime shes track side up it has. So not sure what to think...

Here is what I think.
Pin hole in the filter from the rubbing.
While running... eventually going lower and lower with oil level the sensors still sense oil pressure because it is a slow leak.
Until your done!!

mach9 said:
Zakre said:

Here is what I think.
Pin hole in the filter from the rubbing.
While running... eventually going lower and lower with oil level the sensors still sense oil pressure because it is a slow leak.
Until your done!!

The nytro has a low oil level indicator aswell, that why the dipstick has the plug on top of it. So as soon as most of the oil has leaked out the low oil light will come on first, then after enough has been leaked out the sled will lose oil pressure and should shutdown. If you ignored the low oil light you still should not be able to run the sled without oil pressure.

Even if your oil pressure switch is not working you will get a code 85 aswell so it shouldnt be able to happen.

I'm a bit vertically challenged, so with a bit of a riser, I can barely see my speedo never mind my idiot lights without standing. Guess if something were to happen, I'd be SOL. Sled has just under 8000km and still going strong.

Zakre said:
The nytro has a low oil level indicator aswell, that why the dipstick has the plug on top of it. So as soon as most of the oil has leaked out the low oil light will come on first, then after enough has been leaked out the sled will lose oil pressure and should shutdown. If you ignored the low oil light you still should not be able to run the sled without oil pressure.

Even if your oil pressure switch is not working you will get a code 85 aswell so it shouldnt be able to happen.

Sounds fool proof for motor saving.
But I don't think I'm brave enough to test out a pin hole in my filter, under load, to see what happends.

mach9 said:
What to you think.

I just used a 8 inch angle grinder and ground down the ribs on the aluminum bars, and the rivets. I didn't waste any time and just ground down the plastic too. I left the front two or three rivets and the rib where it is only going to contact the bulk head...I dont care if it scratches the bulk head, its gonna bend eventually anyways.

Took me about ten minutes to grind it all down, now the aluminum is just nice and smooth and won't cut or grind on anything if I hit something or get packed with ice.

I also run a yamaha skid plate as well

mach9 said:
Zakre said:

Sounds fool proof for motor saving.
But I don't think I'm brave enough to test out a pin hole in my filter, under load, to see what happends.

Its not foolproof for motor saving. Here's the thing. If the oil pressure switch is set at say 10 psi to shut off motor, what if you're doing 5000, 6000 or 7000 rpm? That lowered oil pressure you're sending to the engine (because of the hole in the filter) is going to take out your engine ( likely a rod bearing) before the switch shuts things down. On automotive engines 10 psi per 1000 rpm is basic rule of thumb. So what if you're doing 6500 rpm and only making 25 psi? Low oil pressure switch is not going to shut things down but your bearings and journals are going to meet!!

sleddingfarmer said:
mach9 said:
What to you think.

I just used a 8 inch angle grinder and ground down the ribs on the aluminum bars, and the rivets. I didn't waste any time and just ground down the plastic too. I left the front two or three rivets and the rib where it is only going to contact the bulk head...I dont care if it scratches the bulk head, its gonna bend eventually anyways.

Took me about ten minutes to grind it all down, now the aluminum is just nice and smooth and won't cut or grind on anything if I hit something or get packed with ice.

I also run a yamaha skid plate as well

I pulled off the inner tray today. I have the large Yamaha skid plate. The oem one was rubbing on the sump ;):D

This topic scared the crap out of me. Went out and checked. Oil filter and bottom of sump are perfect. Ground down ribs just to be safe.
I really do feel bad for those guys that have had engine damage and Yammie not doing a dam thing for them, but I wonder if we should be a little careful before calling this a design flaw. there are alot of design flaws on these sleds without creating another one. I would really like to know what % of Nytros do have a problem with plate contact. I stress I'm pissed for the guys that this has happened to but how many have had ths this happen?

yamahabandit said:
This topic scared the crap out of me. Went out and checked. Oil filter and bottom of sump are perfect. Ground down ribs just to be safe.
I really do feel bad for those guys that have had engine damage and Yammie not doing a dam thing for them, but I wonder if we should be a little careful before calling this a design flaw. there are alot of design flaws on these sleds without creating another one. I would really like to know what % of Nytros do have a problem with plate contact. I stress I'm pissed for the guys that this has happened to but how many have had ths this happen?

Is the stock "protector" the only thing you have protecting the bottom of your sled?

Ground mine down today. Only have 378 miles on sled and already had signs of rubbing oil filter.

Anyone riding a Nytro with just the the protector plate is asking for trouble. They are ignorant if they think it is adequate protection for the engine and heat exchanger. Last season the only option was the plastic skidplates but now there is something much better. I am running a Roest skidplate and it is the answer. Best insurance out there.

Back