• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

This may save your Nytro motor..

Hornet Handler said:
Anyone riding a Nytro with just the the protector plate is asking for trouble. They are ignorant if they think it is adequate protection for the engine and heat exchanger. Last season the only option was the plastic skidplates but now there is something much better. I am running a Roest skidplate and it is the answer. Best insurance out there.

This post isn't about the stock skid plate being adequate protection. Its about how stupid yamaha was to put those aluminum bars in the oem skid plate and then line the sharp edges up with the oil filter so if you hit or bump something hard or pound on some drifts it puts a hole in the oil filter.

I had the yamaha ultra plate, never hit anything, and my oil filter was showing wear from the oem skid plate rubbing it.

I dont think anyone will argue that the stock skid plate is not adequate protection.

sleddingfarmer said:
Hornet Handler said:
Anyone riding a Nytro with just the the protector plate is asking for trouble. They are ignorant if they think it is adequate protection for the engine and heat exchanger. Last season the only option was the plastic skidplates but now there is something much better. I am running a Roest skidplate and it is the answer. Best insurance out there.

This post isn't about the stock skid plate being adequate protection. Its about how stupid yamaha was to put those aluminum bars in the oem skid plate and then line the sharp edges up with the oil filter so if you hit or bump something hard or pound on some drifts it puts a hole in the oil filter.

I had the yamaha ultra plate, never hit anything, and my oil filter was showing wear from the oem skid plate rubbing it.

I dont think anyone will argue that the stock skid plate is not adequate protection.

My point was that just grinding down the aluminum stiffeners and reinstalling the protector plate is stupid. I agree with you that Yamaha made a bad decision with where they placed the stiffeners but the whole protector plate was a mistake on their part if they thing that it will protect their $6000 engine. A proper skidplate is good insurance. You could get away without proper protection under there for years but do you want to take that chance?

sleddingfarmer said:

You may not have hit anything. As soon as you mount a plastic skid plate over the rest of everything else you introduce the possibility of panels bulging due to moisture getting stuck between the layers and freezing. One of the worst problems with the plastic skidplates.

Roest said:
sleddingfarmer said:

You may not have hit anything. As soon as you mount a plastic skid plate over the rest of everything else you introduce the possibility of panels bulging due to moisture getting stuck between the layers and freezing. One of the worst problems with the plastic skidplates.

i agree i agree, I would have bought your skid plate if I knew about it, instead of the plastic one. But I sold the sled now. But since I sold it to my brother, I decided to grind everything down. Yes it will still probably pack with ice, but since there are no sharp edges or sharp metal, I think he'll be alright.

If it was still my sled, I would have ordered a roest skid plate last week.

I would say if you already bought an aftermarket or even OEM skid plate and don't want to spend even more money on the Roest skid plate then I would completely remove the plastic panel with the bars in it and toss it in the garbage. It doesn't need to be there really with a skid plate installed so at least you've removed the possibility that snow and ice can get packed between the 2 causing the bars to rub the oil filter and sump area.

I checked both my 09 XTX's, they both have the Yamaha Float plate on them, and they both look OK after a little more than 2000 miles??

very stupid.

when i first heard of this, i thought the bars were just thin enough to cut it.
After just installing my float plate i CANNOT believe yami installed stock plate on there as is.

The aluminum extrusions they used are so sharply edged, they will cut your fingers if you run it down the edge.

so I recomend EVERYONE with that plate still installed do one or all of the following:
A. at least use a deburing tool to take down the edges so its not RIDICOULOUSLY sharp

B. Put some sort of edging on the steel bars....i used door edge guard i had left over from my wind deflectors. u can buy edge guard at any auto parts store. it was like 3.99 for 2 24" strips.

Re: very stupid.

Groomer08 said:
when i first heard of this, i thought the bars were just thin enough to cut it.
After just installing my float plate i CANNOT believe yami installed stock plate on there as is.

The aluminum extrusions they used are so sharply edged, they will cut your fingers if you run it down the edge.

so I recomend EVERYONE with that plate still installed do one or all of the following:
A. at least use a deburing tool to take down the edges so its not RIDICOULOUSLY sharp

B. Put some sort of edging on the steel bars....i used door edge guard i had left over from my wind deflectors. u can buy edge guard at any auto parts store. it was like 3.99 for 2 24" strips.

even easier and a better solution is to do as I did, and just use a angle grinder and grind down the aluminum extrusions. No more worries. I think if you debur the edges or cover them they can still come up and hit the filter if you smack into something hard. Thats my opinion.

I'm glad I saw this thread because it saved me a possible blown motor. I've not read through this entire thread recently but what is happening is if you choose to run an aftermarket oil filter like a Napa 1358 or a HF 303 you have a good chance of experiencing the issue. The Yamaha filter is shorter than the other filters and will not make contact with the aluminum bar. A longer filter in conjunction with a bowed in skid plate will cause the aluminum rib to rub on the filter.

I've got some pictures I'll post this weekend but I'm getting ready for the Valdez Mayor's Cup 200 mile cross country race. I took pics of where the aluminum bar rubbed on the HF 303 filter. Funny thing is, I've been running a 303 since the first oil change on my Nytro back in '08 and didn't experience the issue. Reason was because of dumb luck. I installed the Yamaha accessory skid plate early on and didn't run the stock skid plate since I didn't think it was needed. Fast forward to this season and at my last oil change, I replaced the aluminum threaded inserts with steel ones and thought running both the stock and accessory skid plates would be a good idea. I thine saw this thread, checked my sled yesterday and low and behold the filter was rubbing.

even with a stock yamaha oil filter, the stock skid plate in combination with the yamaha ultra plate, my oil filter was rubbing on the stock skid plate. So everyone should be worried about this whether they run a yamaha or aftermarket oil filter. Stupid design.

sleddingfarmer said:
even with a stock yamaha oil filter, the stock skid plate in combination with the yamaha ultra plate, my oil filter was rubbing on the stock skid plate. So everyone should be worried about this whether they run a yamaha or aftermarket oil filter. Stupid design.

I thought it was only happening to those who were using aftermarket filters ? Those Yammi filters are so small, can't see how anything could come in contact with it unless I wacked a big rock or stump, but then again, I'd have a lot more to worry about then....guess I better go out and take a gander ;)!

I had a look at mine yesterday, with the stock yamaha filter, which is very small. I can't see how the stiffener in the skid plate would hit enough to damage the stock yamaha filter on my machine without taking out the cooler. But I still grinded about half the width of the stiffener and the rivet to be on the safe side. I have a 4 day trip this week, last for the year. I will take another look next year

Back