• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

This may save your Nytro motor..

I know I bought my oil filter at my dealer, maybe he gave me a larger one? But i know mine made contact with the skid plate. I have also hit some pretty nasty stuff playing in swamps that didn't have nearly enough snow...

Well again, without reading through the entire thread (which I intend to do) I just placed 8th in Semi-pro in the Valdez, Alaska Mayor's Cup race. It has the reputation as being the roughest the cross country race in the state behind the Iron Dog. Thing is, depending on snow conditions, the Valdez 22 mile loop can be rougher and more demanding than the Iron Dog.

In any case, I ran my Nytro with an HF 303 filter with the Yamaha accessory skid plate (no factory skid plate installed) with no issues. In fact, I was hitting holes and whoops so hard that my clutches were ingesting snow and causing the belt to slip. The drive clutch actually wore a hole through the side panel and allowed snow to come in. This is a real problem with the Nytro and even after 3 model years, the fix is still debated.

Anyway, I have a hard time believing that anyone running a 5DN Yamaha filter would see rub marks unless they hit something that severely caved in the stock skid plate. For regular riding. the 5DN provides more than enough clearance to make the rubbing a non-issue.

In this case code 30 would have come on indicating low oil level. However if the rider does not look at his gauges the engine will no shut down until its to late.

I have finally read through this thread and will be checking this issue out when I change oil and filter soon, our season just ended last week, I will have to order that Roest plate this summer I just can't afford it now. I was wondering if they plan any improvements, the aluminum plate is not going to slide over a rock as well as a plastic one maybe i will coat it with plastic.

bbydan said:
In this case code 30 would have come on indicating low oil level. However if the rider does not look at his gauges the engine will no shut down until its to late.

A hole in the oil filter will give you lower oil pressure which will take out a rod bearing at operating rpms. The damage may well have been done before the low oil level warning even came on.

bradb said:
I have finally read through this thread and will be checking this issue out when I change oil and filter soon, our season just ended last week, I will have to order that Roest plate this summer I just can't afford it now. I was wondering if they plan any improvements, the aluminum plate is not going to slide over a rock as well as a plastic one maybe i will coat it with plastic.

Aluminum is an improvement over plastic. We had looked in producing them out of plastic but weren't happy with the results. The aluminum is much more rugged and can be better fastened allowing it to become an integral part of the chassis.

Congrats to AKRIDER for your results! I raced x-country before old age got the best of me.Would have luved to race a Nytro competitively. Now all I can do is race my buddy's Apex. I do well in the twistys but he gets me on the lakes! :Rockon:

I can see where the stock skid plate can make contact with the oil filter I just changed oil and filter in mine before getting it ready to put away for the season. I am glad I ordered one from roestracing stock plate is kind of a joke how it fastens with the plastic rivets.

yamahabandit said:
Just wondering with Roest skidplate installed, do lower side panels still need to come off to remove plate?
:whine:

I can answer that.........yup. It interfaces with the side panels exactly like the OEM "protector plate. Keeps the fit nice and flush and fasteners hidden.

Here are the pictures I said I'd post of the wear from the stock skid plate.

DSC00657.jpg

Rub mark on filter.

DSC00659.jpg

Rub marks on the skid plate.

DSC00660.jpg

Another angle.

DSC00654.jpg

Rub mark on the engine case right in front of the new filter I installed.

DSC00655.jpg

Another rub mark.

_DSC6581.jpg

Photo from the race. Gee, I wonder why the stock skid plates can get a little bashed in? :tg:

waubamikrider said:
Nitrosman

You know what I find funny and ridiculous. You were complaining about Yamaha not warrantying this.

First of all, you hit Something!! Waranty doesn't cover collision caused damage. Although I agree its a poor design and a problem waiting to happen.

Whats worse is... YOUR SLED HAS A SUPERCHARGER.. If you think yamaha should cover any motor that has been modified in any way. Turbo, Supercharger, nitrous, or even intake/pipe mods. Your head is in your #*$&@. Guys like you are what cloud the factory with pull sh!t waranty claims so the factory can't tell the real problems from the BS ones.

Give your head a shake Bud!

So the conclusion is... dont drive a Yamaha beside the groomed trail. Because if you hit something the bulletproof design will cost you $6000?

The Supercharger has nothing to do with this.

Glad that Nitrosman share his information... Thanx Nitrosman!

Before someone thinks something... This post was kind of sarcastic against the guy above. Really glad to see this post and I have sent it forward to my Nytro friends.

Got my skid plate today looks awesome should PROTECT the bottom of my sled like it was designed to do unlike the stock plate. I am going to install it tommorrow will let you know how it fits.

Glad to see I may have helped a few people save their motors. I've been told the Yamaha filter is a little shorter which would help with clearance but it's still a bad design with that bar placed right underneath it. My sled had the oil changed by the previous owner and had an aftermarket filter so when I bought a new filter it was the same exact size as what I removed. The replacement filter lists as the OEM equivalent so why would their be a difference in size? Oh well, my insurance paid out but it wasn't as much as I had in the sled but at least I got something.

Back