• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thrashed 08 Steering Knuckles - Replacement Options?

BCgee

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Nytro MTX
Just began disassembly of my front end for maintenance and new steering parts to realize both my L and R steering knuckles have almost disintegrated around the spindle attachment on the lower a-arm. Some searching here shows this is a known problem.

So, given I’d like to get back to and finish this project sooner than later, what are my options for replacing the steering knuckles for an 08 MTX? OEM from a parts warehouse or are there better options?

It seems when folks (like me) remove the sway bar it creates a ton of pressure on the lower a-arm spindle and steel > aluminum. Looks like a new OEM set will be around $350: not ideal.

Advice greatly appreciated!

So were the lower ball joints blown out and the A-arms were grinding into the spindle? Had that on my son's Phazer we were rebuilding. Took the spindle to a welder to fill in the gouges and then I filed them flat and had them powder coated blue to match the sled. Or check with Barn of Parts for some good used ones.

Appreciate the beta MooseMan.

In my case it appears that the lower a-arm, at the spindle attachment to the knuckle, beat the crap out of the soft aluminum knuckle housing.

No saving these; in order to remove the spindle from seriously thrashed/cupped aluminum I had to cut her out. Look at how thin the spindle joint walls are - glad to catch this now!

Will take a look at salvage sites today.

Attachments

• 1DF9C6C7-CC20-40E8-98D1-8088BB310669.jpeg
    1DF9C6C7-CC20-40E8-98D1-8088BB310669.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 217
Maybe as a preventive, put a very large washer or a piece of sheetmetal on the spindle under the A-arm to protect it.

The ball joint was blown out. Common problem. When it goes, A-arm will ride on the spindle and grind into it.

I blew out a couple of sets of ball joints on my sled. Ever since installed a Mountaintech front end I've had no more issues. The A arms don't use that type of ball joint and I have not had an issue since after thousands of kms. The stock ball joint on the stock A arm really doesn't last all that long. They used to be like $80 plus tax for each ball joint if I remember correctly.

I blew out a couple of sets of ball joints on my sled. Ever since installed a Mountaintech front end I've had no more issues. The A arms don't use that type of ball joint and I have not had an issue since after thousands of kms. The stock ball joint on the stock A arm really doesn't last all that long. They used to be like $80 plus tax for each ball joint if I remember correctly.

Spread the "good news" brother!!!

Just began disassembly of my front end for maintenance and new steering parts to realize both my L and R steering knuckles have almost disintegrated around the spindle attachment on the lower a-arm. Some searching here shows this is a known problem.

So, given I’d like to get back to and finish this project sooner than later, what are my options for replacing the steering knuckles for an 08 MTX? OEM from a parts warehouse or are there better options?

It seems when folks (like me) remove the sway bar it creates a ton of pressure on the lower a-arm spindle and steel > aluminum. Looks like a new OEM set will be around $350: not ideal.

Advice greatly appreciated!

Polaris spindles are a good cost effective upgrade.

Back