• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Throttle Needed on Start Up

Okay. I don’t know that dealer. Hopefully they get it figured out for you. Keep us TY guys in the loop. I’m curious what they say. Thanks.
Jon
Yuppers! They sure are a sweet sled when everything is working! When we hit the main loops in the UP this weekend the wife let me ride it. Trails were beat to crap. Apex was beating me up. Winder was a very relaxing experience! Apex with its power steering is a groomed trail animal. When things get real rough the winder shines!

Lol my name is Jon as well. I thought you were addressing me by name! Trying to figure out how u knew me! :beer:
Jon with no H? Lol. If so your parents were good peoples. !! Lol. I’m heading to the UP Wednesday. Probably be a ice fishing trip though. Eh? Lol

Our 2020 winder has the same issue! Certain times starting it acts like the mapping is way off. You need throttle to get it started. Once its running it needs throttle to stay running. After a half hour of riding it will run like normal. Some times when starting it also only runs on 2 cylinders. After 5 minutes of warm up it picks up the dead cylinder and runs fine. Will be taking it in as its less than a year old. But i doubt they will find anything.

Dont even waste your time bringing the sled to the dealer, buy a new set of plugs and install them. When cold starting the sled, do not touch the throttle or shut the sled off until the red light stops flashing.

When it’s really cold I like to cycle the key one time and turn it off. Then cycle again for start. Always wait for fuel pump to STOP PUMPING before turning key to crank motor. Always use key to shut sled off. All good. NEVER touched my throttle in 11500 miles. No joke.

When it’s really cold I like to cycle the key one time and turn it off. Then cycle again for start. Always wait for fuel pump to STOP PUMPING before turning key to crank motor. Always use key to shut sled off. All good. NEVER touched my throttle in 11500 miles. No joke.
I don't remember why I started , but I always cycle the pump a couple times , when first starting it up , particularly when it has sat for a week or so .

Dont even waste your time bringing the sled to the dealer, buy a new set of plugs and install them. When cold starting the sled, do not touch the throttle or shut the sled off until the red light stops flashing.
When starting we never touch the throttle until it is up above 160.

When it doesn't start it will crank just fine. Fire up with a large miss. Then die. The starter kicks its self out when it reaches a certain rpm. When it gets this way you have to add throttle or it will fire and die continuously. Then after it is running on all 3 it will still die when letting off the throttle. After 15 minutes of riding it just starts running like normal.

I mostly just want to bring it to a dealer so they log a case and yamaha is more aware of the issue. Otherwise i am lacking much faith that the dealer will stumble upon the issue and fix it.

I have never gotten to use warranty on any new Yamahas. Ever since my local dealer closed i have had no luck getting anything covered. But i have always been notified there is $100 deductible per failure with YES coverage. And if it is not covered you pay for all the time they took to figure out it wasn't covered.
Absolutely not correct. No deductible if under Factory or YES warranty. If its not covered I would imagine you will have to pay for time involved for sure that's only fair.

I’ve had your problem, needed throttle to fire up. I brought it to the dealer a couple years ago and they couldn’t pinpoint what was wrong and they changed plugs, fuel pump, fuel regulator the little return elbow going into the tank and I think I’m missing something else. The fuel pressure was too high. I told them about the return elbow at the tank and they said that wasn’t it but after they changed it the sled ran fine, coincidence? I think that elbow was changed by Yamaha after 17 or 18 though.
Return fitting was changed starting in '18. Larger orifice in later fitting to allow more return if needed, especially during warmer temps.

Any chance your throttle cable is too tight? Should have min. of .030" play at flipper.
Has anyone followed up with this, I'm just throwing it out there I know the TORS is very touchy on the Vipers

Just did a cold start on my SW
-20c/-4f
closed loop 240SS selected
When the O2 sensor activated AFR was 11.5 and stayed 11.5 right through the cold temp warning with a steady smooth idle at 1800rpm.
When the sled was fully warmed up, @ 165f, idle is rock steady at 1500rpm with a 12.1 : 1 AFR

Last edited:

Back