• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thunder Products Orange Secondary spring **Update**

You go ask any proffesional racer in MX,XC,SX,Superbike and many others about it. Thousand are spent to get rid of engine braking for many reasons. And all make you faster in those disciplines.

Exactly. Been road racing for 15yrs. Brakes slow the car.... period, never the engine. Proper braking controls weight transfer and ultimately grip. You can control and vary your braking as conditions change. Wet track...dry track etc. Engine braking does not do this. Ice, loose snow, hard pack do you think you can slow faster by brake modulation or just let the engine do it? If you are faster letting the engine slow you for the corner then you are going slow. That said the trails are not a race track. :):)

Although I've "used" the engine breaking at times...I was like... Uh no.. You can't be faster with the engine controlling you... moreso general cruising when gassed..

i just didn't want to say it and get told I'm wrong Lol

Last edited:
LOL, and you ride with me and my group? Kinda odd that you (think) you know this. lol

Not even close to correct

Carry on everyone ;)
Do me a favor and ride with said 1200 Doo's and Apex's that supposedly are faster on your trails because of engine braking. Then after they get their butt kicked by your Winder which is designed to have less. Form your opinion then.

Thought that was the topic that RockerDan brought up? He is trying to get it back through clutching is what i got from his posts.

His weights were setup for less hp than he is running. Terry sent him different setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, working with Aquaticlaker on his clutching

I did a little twist test (will be testing more tonight) and the twist seems only marginally more that the stocker? (not talking compression)

just a guess (will be using a torque measurement later) ...but like less than 10 percent more twist..? so 50 on the thunder would be around 60 on the stocker?

Just checked a couple things on mine....

Dalton B/O comes in at 14 pounds avg on fish scale(Backpressure) when set to 6/1(70) as per Dale.

The TP Orange set to 3/2(50) still had MORE backpressure, as It was much harder to install at 50 then above setup at 70.

I do realize twist "tangs" can be different from one to the next, so just something to consider.

I know in DOO world we go by scale rating, which does make for less confusion when comparing tangs/torsional values apples to apples.

As for compression, it seems to me just quickly comparing the two....the compression is similarly close from these two springs.

So I would think 50 as mentioned above by Shag and Terry would be the max to twist the orange TP to. Good call guys.

Dan

Back