• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

timber sled question

I do still have the stock drivers, after hearing you spun yours that very well could be my problem. I just have a hard time seeing the track ratcheting as tight as I have the track.

fortunately i have not spun mine! If I were to do so then i will be looking for a longer track not much longer just one to accomodate the lack free track i have.

I do hear a clicking noise when on hard pack but when in powder it goes away.

phil did you try the shim?

How do you guys like the ride of your timber skids?
I'm thinking about putting the Nytro on a diet this summer. However I'm getting to be kind of an "old guy"! So ride quality is becoming more of a factor in my sled mods!

philsummers21 said:
The Ride of the timbersled is awesome. That was the very first thing i noticed was how well it handled the bumpy trails.

Thanks Phil, thats good to hear! Does yours have the Float X shock?
Another question for those who bought the rails to go with it. Do they use OEM Yamaha style of hyfax?

The iceage rails use polaris style hyfax. You don't have to buy rails you can bolt the timbersled to the stock rails with a kit or something they offer. My skid does not have the Float X shock. For me as a mountain rider i didnt think i needed it.

Mtnviper,

TS offers what they call a "fit kit" which will allow the installation of the Mtn Tamer on OEM rails. There is a small tab on each rail that has to be trimmed off to install it.

The Float X is a great shock, but IMO, and for the price, it isn't worth it. You can have the normal Float valved, and set to your weight and riding style and leave it be.

If you have lots of people riding your sled, and need to tune the suspension for each individual rider trailside, then by all means - go with the X.

Give us a call, we will shoot you a great deal if you decide to purchase one.

-Moto

Thanks Moto, can you buy the skid with the shocks already re-valved for my weight?
The more I think about it, I probably would be better off going with straight rails. I think they would be an improvement over the OEM tipped up XTX rails, for the kind of mountain riding I do. Probably a little lighter too!
The other thought is it would be much easier to sell a complete XTX skid with rails, to help off-set the cost of the swap. ;)!

Mtnviper said:
Thanks Moto, can you buy the skid with the shocks already re-valved for my weight?
The more I think about it, I probably would be better off going with straight rails. I think they would be an improvement over the OEM tipped up XTX rails, for the kind of mountain riding I do. Probably a little lighter too!
The other thought is it would be much easier to sell a complete XTX skid with rails, to help off-set the cost of the swap. ;)!

That shouldn't be a problem... PM myself or SCMURS, or give us a call. We'll do everything we can to help you out! I'm fairly certain you will not be disappointed with the Mtn Tamer!

As far as the rails... if you are not boosted, I would stick with the tipped up rails. They work excellently in the deep, and have great manners on the trail - the straights... not as much on the trail-ability. Weight savings are negligible as well... but you have a point on the value of a complete skid!

the ride of the timbersled is better than i could ever imagine. I do not think that i will be able to get the ski lift iwant but i suppose the trade off for the powder performance is worth it.

I have just standard floats on mine. I weigh 250 with gear. Shocks have been working well

now i have a question that i thought of before but did not think it would matter. Do you adjust shock pressure when it is cold or hot??

in the garage i set it up at 85 front and 125 rear.
just went out to adjust and both shocks were 10psi below what i set them at.

I just put the 1/4 shim in the rear. readjusted front shock to 90 and rear back to 125.

intheory it should gain 10 psi as i ride it??

off to ride let you know how it is.

Back