• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Timing Change

Ignition timing...but it sounds like it's been changed slightly from what we thought on the R1 bike. We have a little research to go through right now mainly on the ignition router.

We'll keep everyone abreast.

Timing

Gilbey was curious if you have tryed the black box from 01/02 R1 street bike,I also notice on my Yamaha technical orientation guide that the Rx1 has a rev limiter set at 11,500 which would lead me to believe that maybe one of the ignition boxes from the R1 would allow this motor to spin higher in the rev range and perhap's unleash some more HP that yamaha is holding back with the use of a detuned black box?. :)

Advancing the timing, if the fuel available will allow it, will help power all over the band. There could be some big gains here with a STOCK motor.

Raising the rpm band though, unless other changes are made, will probably just decrease longevity, which may or may not be a problem. These motors can be hurt though!

Yamaha does a great job at getting all the parts working in the same range, and changing just one thing might be counteractive. Cams, exhaust, carbs, and then rpm range can change...oh and clutching and gearing too!hehe

From what I know of this engine, its maximum horsepower is at ~10200 rpm. Unless there's a short dip until it clears (say 11500) and it rockets up afterwards (doubt it), then there would be nothing to be gained by increasing the RPM.... unless the entire rest of the engine was recalibrated such that it would hit peak HP up higher.

Peak horsepower is the point where (through torque multiplication - ie gear reduction) maximum ACCELERATION is produced, and where (through shifting up) maximum SPEED is achieved. Nothing more is to be gained.

What do you think would be the effect of running this engine at 12k RPM for extended periods of time? Maybe valve maintenance every 100 miles? Stress fractures in the connecting rod? Scuffed races? There is a good reason why the engine on the sled isnt allowed to run as fast as the bike..... because nobody can possibly sustain 12k rpm on the bike for long enough to cause damage *AND* live to worry about the bike's condition.

I agree that it would not be healthy for the engine to run at those RPM's and I don't believe that it would even help this particular one in increasing max speed/hp etc.

With the clutch spinning at a different speed I would think this whole system would have to be revamped to accomplish anything.

What I had thought here is just the timing itself. I don't think the brain box would help out with this, unless it was use this power more efficiently somehow, but probably the best way of unleashing the torque is changing the clutching.

The reason that I looked at the timing change would be to make it burn hotter thus increasing particularly the mid range power.

Without consequence to the motor, longevity, and reliability.

Basically a cheap way to increase the stock motor without having the wear and tear of turbo/nitrous.

hey gilbey,hauck has timing offset keys set at 2 degrees 4 degrees and 6 degrees for either way you may want to correct your timing,i am going to get the 2 and 4 degrees keys and give the 2 degree a try for trail riding,but think maybe i will have to increase octane from 87 now to 90-92 whatever one can find on the trail,this may increase top end a little more i know it wont be much,but just may be enough lol. pete :lol:

timing

Reving this motor to 11,500 or 12,00 for that matter would not effect it to the extent you guy's are claiming,this motor is constantly reved that high at your local race track by professional racers as well as sustained high rpm run's,just take a look at Brainerd International Raceway or Road America both have huge straightaway's and the R1's that these guy's are riding are capable of 190hp+ no problem.As far as ignition timing the bike guy's have developed a unit called the POWER COMMANDER that allow's for three different ignition map's to be used just select one and go,it also has a software program where you can customize your own ignition mapping.The best thing about this unit is it plug's right in to the stock wiring harness. :)

Hi rightarm,do you know if it works good on stock rx1 and how much can be gained on a stock sled,better top speed,midrange,lowend? And how much will it cost me in U.S.A. dollars and do i need a lap top to be able to use it? Thanks pete 8)

timing

mnmsnowbeast as far as how it work's or would work on the RX1 I don't have that answer yet but on stock motorcycle's it allows you to change the timing to specific needs ie:drag racing,road racing,or just cruising around it can literally change the whole curve of the torque and horsepower values to wherever you want them top end, mid range, bottom end etc.As far as how much it would cost in U.S dollars I would not know but you can contact YOSHIMURA U.S.A and ask there tech department if it could be applied to our purpose,no you don't need the laptop that's just more for convenience than anything else.I mentioned that the POWER COMMANDER has software to customize the mapping I believe I made a mistake the YOSHIMURA unit is the one with the software.You can find the POWER COMMANDER either at STREET & COMPETITION or LOCKHART PHILIP'S. :)

Thanks rightarm do you have any of them as websites,i may be able to access,adresses or such. thanks pete Sure sounds good if its not to pricy lol :)

timing

mnmsnowbeast try these aftermarket motorcycle shop's www.KNpowersports.com they distribute the POWER COMMANDER there is also a web site where you can download different combinations www.powercommander.com you can also try this one www.yoshimura-rd.com or www.gravesport.com the latter two are high performance aftermarket motorcycle shops with years of building and testing motors,I will also post any info I gather this year through my own R&D :) sorry for the slow responce.

Back