• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tips for splitting Oil Tank?

putz21

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'23 Sidewinder LTX LE w/EPS
‘19 Sidewinder LTX SE
Looking for some tips on splitting the oil tank. I don't want to force something and end up doing something wrong to the tank. Whatever sealant is used on them seems to be really strong. I'd like to install the BOP oil tank gasket, but need some advice on how to split the tank. Thanks fellas!

Put some heat to it just didn't go crazy there's a plastic baffle inside. They come apart pretty easy just pry with 2 wide prying tools simultaneously and take your time working your way around. If your leaking oil start in that spot. You may be able to see the softer excess RTV sealant that has expanded out of the edges. Mine had very little sealant in there and I didn't think it was nearly enough.
When you put it back together run a bead on both pieces, put them together but do not tighten the bolts for an hour or so. Let the sealant firm up some first

Mine came apart pretty easy..
Like fatchance said use two wide prying tools and work your way around and it will break free..
Let us know how you like the BOP gasket..

Travis at BOP mentioned to only use the gasket after the surface is cleaned,no additional sealant,and half of the factory recommended torque(72”lbs) with blue loctite on attaching hardware.He mentions too much torque can damage the gasket

Thanks guys! Is the existing sealant pretty easy to remove/clean?

Using a little gas, that material from the factory almost dissolves. Like the previous comment, knives or puddy knife (for drywall) would work - sliding it in, and breaking the seal.

Once separated, wash it good with gas or brake cleaner.

Mine came apart so easy, there was such little material holding it together. And that would explain why it was leaking. Lol
MS

Back