• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

To trade my RX-1?

mikeRX

Extreme
I have a 2003 RX-1 that Ive had for 2 seasons now. I ride all the time with a guy who has a 98 V-Max 700. I love the 4 stroke power ect. but I find it very tippy. I've put it on its side about 4 times now and its terrible in any corners. This is a great sled for flat lake running with no corners but we run alot of bush trails ect. and it feels like driving a school bus through the woods and the V-max could out run thr rx any day on the trails. Ive come to the conclusion that the perfect sled would be to put the 4 stroke motor into the v-max frame (which is alot lower to the ground eliminating the tippy aspect). Any suggestions on what kind of sled might be better for me?

First try a 13 mm swaybar with adapters, soften your front springs a little. That will help quite a bit.

Newer sleds are tippier in general because of the increased suspension travel and more forward positioning. Only way you are going to get the flatter cornering of the older sleds is to buy one and deal with haf the suspension. New sleds now can't match the flat cornering of the XC's, ZR's - Pre Rev Doos and SX's. However, if the trail ain't flat and smooth - their advantage goes away quickly.

Have you looked into upgrading the suspension at all in your RX? if your still running the stock front springs and sway bar, upgrade those, that will make it handle alot better. I am still wearing the stok stuff on mine as well, and also found it very tippy when i first got it. I adjusted the straps, the control rods, and the FRA, and its a completely different machine in the twisties now from just thost improvements. I havent checked to see what my front springs are set at though, i suspect its way too much preload. I really got used to the way it handled and learned to ride it better this year. that was more of a difference than new parts, adjusting the loose nut behind the bars....

I am not such a great sled mechanic and not sure what to adjust. I'm 6'4" and about 245lbs. How much would all these mods cost? Should the dealer do that?

Front springs you just get the skiis off the ground and loosen the collar at the top of the springs.

Sway bar with adapters around $100 I believe - I just put the 13 mm on my 05 RX and it makes a good difference. You just unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one.

I don't know much about the pro-action skid - but you shoud likely transfer a little more weight forward. Maybe a pro-action expert can chime in.

I's not rocket science but you will have to have a little inclined. Get the 13mm sway bar and longer links with strait rate springe from Bruce at Pioneer performance. The difference is like night and day. should be able to get all for around $500.

Once you get it dialed it will keep up with or dust most 2 strokes. I am just frustrated it takes so much extra equipment to make them handle but I guess yamaha was just shooting for a generic buyer and has all the accessories to customize it.

13mm sway, straight rate springs, and longer links with the appropriate bushings and you'll love it.

I would do some work on the front end . I agree with you , my srx handled like it was on rails . now my rx does too . you do have to drive them differnent though. The srx I come into a corner fast off the gas , turn then give er . my rx I just drive through , let up a bit bun not on and off , keep a more constant throttle.

The biggest differences were the 13 mm sway bar combined with the 04 linkage , then I put straight rate springs (again off a 04 warrior I think) , then the simmons ski ( more money but worth it in my opinion)
When you look at your sled from the front your "a" arms should be level , so you can start by loosening the springs . Hope this helps cuz my sled handles great in the corners now . I just rode my friends stock rx and it was way different.

ps do it yourself and save the labor costs and put that towards your parts (unless you are rich)

You will get all the help you need here

Thanks guys. Sounds like small mods can make a big difference to this sled and it sounds like alot of people have already done this. Could be a summer project in store for me!!

Mike, get rid of those rotten stock skis. I put Simmons skis on my 03 RX. That will help alot as well as the other mods people have mentioned. Everything will work together once its on the sled. All this stuff is really easy to do plus you get a chance to get to know your sled a lil better. Tons and tons of posts to get you going on your soon to be Vmax Killer. Just take a few days off of work and tell the wife or G.F. that you are going to be busy taking care of some computer business and you will know everything you need to know about your sled to make it handle. This site has a ton of info, and you may even meet a few new friends.

Mike I was in the same place as you 1 year ago. I was going to trade in my 03 for an apex. That was going to be about a $6000 jump! my sled had only 2000 miles and looks new. So as a summer project I decided to invest $1500 bucks into it. All I can say is WOW I feel like I got a brand new sled for 1/4 the money :Rockon: you can see a list of mods i did below. Good luck!

Back