• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Speed AND The Yamaha Apex.... Whats the dreameter sayin?

HONDAFIXER said:
On glare ice with little snow the 24 gear is faster
I have ran both 24 and 23 top speed on glare ice same speed with both most of the time,but when things change the 23 is always faster on top and mid. These are always gps confirmed speeds,and i have seen 131 to 132 give 117 gps on two sleds one my 03 rx1 and the other was my 06 apex my 07 apex rtx on glare ice with either 22 or 23 top gear would only run 112 gps to 113 gps but on hard snow with the stock 22 top it ran 112 once with stock carbides and bare track,once studded it slowed down to 108 gps.

ROCKERDAN said:
on '06s,grind off two teeth(opposite sides) on speedo gear,and then speedo is within 1mph of GPS.

Dan

Ya this works real good dan,we did that back in 06 on my attak and apex.s it was right on at slower speeds,maybe even a little slower than speedo at 50 mph and dead on at 115 gps speed.

ScottyD said:
well my rtx has the 22/38 gearing and the fastest it has read on the speedo is 118, it makes no differance if its on icey road or hardpacked snow, i'm going to go up to a 23 tooth top gear
Scotty i dont think it will help on snow,may even slow you down most of the time. When i had my 07 rtx apex i did the same thing,installed the 23 top gear in place of the 22 top and went out to my test lake,at the time it was near perfect ice/snow and the fastest speed i saw on my gps was 113,and most of the time i would see 112 gps with stock 22 on same conditions,but it slowed me down 5 mph on snow.

turbine man said:
MY 07 RTX 138 GLARE ICE DREAM METER MPH MY TURBO VECTOR AT 20LBS BOOST 158 DREAMETER 138 GPS ALL SET ON MPH THERE 20 OFF AT THAT SPEED JEFF
If you are running 138 speedo what was your gps saying.i would hope at least119 or 120 real speed,i do believe at 158 speedo you will be off 20 mph,because yesterday i was off 16 mph,125 speedo 109 gps.

mnmsnowbeast said:
ScottyD said:
well my rtx has the 22/38 gearing and the fastest it has read on the speedo is 118, it makes no differance if its on icey road or hardpacked snow, i'm going to go up to a 23 tooth top gear
Scotty i dont think it will help on snow,may even slow you down most of the time. When i had my 07 rtx apex i did the same thing,installed the 23 top gear in place of the 22 top and went out to my test lake,at the time it was near perfect ice/snow and the fastest speed i saw on my gps was 113,and most of the time i would see 112 gps with stock 22 on same conditions,but it slowed me down 5 mph on snow.

Mine has the 24 tooth stoch correct??? How come you're saying the 07 RTX is unable to turn a 23??? It should be able to turn a 24 if the other apex's can shouldn't it?? Im gettin confused here..... sorry, someone take me by the hand and lead me through this gearing stuff. Are you guys changing clutching when you're changing gears or just changing gears?????

mnmsnowbeast said:
ScottyD said:

i thought i might pick up a few mph going to the 23 top gear, i'm still running the stock track, it will run quick to 118 on the speedo then the anchor comes out, i ran the track loose enough for it to ratchet, then tightened it up, always 118 on the speedo on ice or snow

shanksyamaha said:
mnmsnowbeast said:
ScottyD said:

Mine has the 24 tooth stoch correct??? How come you're saying the 07 RTX is unable to turn a 23??? It should be able to turn a 24 if the other apex's can shouldn't it?? Im gettin confused here..... sorry, someone take me by the hand and lead me through this gearing stuff. Are you guys changing clutching when you're changing gears or just changing gears?????
Ok you have the 07 rtx completely differant sled than the 06 rtx,you dont have the mono skid but have the ck skid,and for somereason it likes the smaller gears,at least mine did,i cant understand how anyone can get 138 mph out of a stock apex rtx with the 22 stock top gear,with out boost,but it has to be a freak if it turns that speed all stock.

22 tooth is no good for top speed.....we found the 23/38 combo was always best on radar and acceleration.

24 tooth MIGHT radar same as 23 on ICE but not in snow. the 23 wins.

Dan

ROCKERDAN said:
22 tooth is no good for top speed.....we found the 23/38 combo was always best on radar and acceleration.

Dan

With stock clutching?? Would I benefit from simply switching from a 24 to a 23 with no other changes???

I just sold a 23 top gear for $12 on ebay. I wish I would have kept it.

shanksyamaha said:
ROCKERDAN said:

Dan

With stock clutching?? Would I benefit from simply switching from a 24 to a 23 with no other changes???

I just sold a 23 top gear for $12 on ebay. I wish I would have kept it.

23 works awesome with good clutch setup....however IMO you would benefit from 23 with stock clutching as well.

BUT if it were me,id be getting a clutch kit first and foremost....there is alot left on the table with stock setup.

Dan

In 06 was not the GT the only sled to come with a 24 tooth top gear ?? I have since went down to a 23 but G-Force told me to put the 24 back in before i bring them my sled...Why do you think that might be ?Would it be that with the new hp the Apex will handle the 24 gear ??? Any thoughts on the 24 gear ??????? :rocks:

MUSKIE said:
In 06 was not the GT the only sled to come with a 24 tooth top gear ?? I have since went down to a 23 but G-Force told me to put the 24 back in before i bring them my sled...Why do you think that might be ?Would it be that with the new hp the Apex will handle the 24 gear ??? Any thoughts on the 24 gear ??????? :rocks:
All the apex models except the attak had 24 top gear in 06,and the rtx changed skids in 07 so they dropped it down from the 24 to the 22 top. My guess is your new hp can in most conditions handle the 24 top now!!

Attachments

• apex mtx skis.jpg
    apex mtx skis.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 108
  • mtxskis2.jpg
    mtxskis2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 103
  • mtxskis3.jpg
    mtxskis3.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 116

Back