• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Speed AND The Yamaha Apex.... Whats the dreameter sayin?

shanksyamaha said:
Im really thinking I will leave it stock until I get the yamacharger. I was thinking I would run different clutching at that ime

What do I need to do to extract the extra HP with stock clutches?? Pay the $400+ for a clutch kit???

When you say cut clutches are you talking about machineing the sheeve faces?? We all do this with our rhinos for more top end, is this something you guys are doing on the apex too???

if you are waiting till next season for yamcharger then i would get a clutch kit with adjustable weights(like ulmers) and then you will simply add weight when you install charger,be sure to use 23 gear with stock motor and clutching to make it really pull.

the primary only needs a small amt of material taken out of each sheave to allow the new wider 34.5mm belts to come to the top,however you must be sure to shim the secondary in conjunction.

i have done this with all my sleds,just take all clutches apart and lay belt into them without springs,and you will see what is needed to get full overdrive to .85/.90 ratio.

IMO i would start with a 23 top gear with a yamcharger initially,along with cut clutches for .90 OD(good for 126.48) then if the yamcharger has enough HP to "run out of gear" you can go to 24 ,but i doubt that you will see over 126.48.

Dan

Well Dan you seam like a knowledgable guy so Im gunna take your advice and start with the cheapest thing and change my gear to a 23. Once I have a little extra $$ I'll pick up one of ulmers clutch kits. I'll prolly call them and see what they recommend for clutching setup for my sled knowing its stock right now and will not always be...

No matter what, you're saying I won't loose any top speed by gearing down to a 23. Even if I run the entire 9 miles of Cranberry Lake at WOT, Right????

shanksyamaha said:
Well Dan you seam like a knowledgable guy so Im gunna take your advice and start with the cheapest thing and change my gear to a 23. Once I have a little extra $$ I'll pick up one of ulmers clutch kits. I'll prolly call them and see what they recommend for clutching setup for my sled knowing its stock right now and will not always be...

No matter what, you're saying I won't loose any top speed by gearing down to a 23. Even if I run the entire 9 miles of Cranberry Lake at WOT, Right????

check the classifieds, i've seen ulmer clutch kits in there before

I agree....you can find a used kit or you can build your own kit with guys like TURK who can walk you thru it.

I built my own with all dalton components based on the killer PROLINE kit.

I think many guys were simply adding a white secondary spring(from the attacks) along with a 23 gear to work better then stock apex setups. You could do this if you are holding off on clutch kit.

Dan

When you drop a tooth on the smaller gear, it can help the belt ride higher, therefore overcoming the lower gearing. The result is no loss or some gain in top end with the better acceleration a low gear brings. To see if this effect is possible for you, draw a line on your clutch plate from the bottom to the top with a Sharpie pen. Run at top speed and see how much of the line is left. This will indicate if your belt runs to the top.

bigdog1000 said:
When you drop a tooth on the smaller gear, it can help the belt ride higher, therefore overcoming the lower gearing. The result is no loss or some gain in top end with the better acceleration a low gear brings. To see if this effect is possible for you, draw a line on your clutch plate from the bottom to the top with a Sharpie pen. Run at top speed and see how much of the line is left. This will indicate if your belt runs to the top.

your belt will never run to top(close) unless you hit 120 or so MPH

Or

run it up to near top on a jackstand.

also,if you dont cut your clutch it will always only get to 1/4 below top.

Dan

Top Speed

Last Dec. 10 at Rib Lake Rock ran 128.5 with stock Apex Cory ran 126.8 and there 2001 Srx went 125 all stock sleds I was there to see it.Ask Mr Sled he was there he went 122with his Apex with S/C.The fasts Cats Xfr1000 with pipes went 121 . Oh Rock is using 24/40 gearing and stock weights.

Re: Top Speed

enticer294 said:
Last Dec. 10 at Rib Lake Rock ran 128.5 with stock Apex Cory ran 126.8 and there 2001 Srx went 125 all stock sleds I was there to see it.Ask Mr Sled he was there he went 122with his Apex with S/C.The fasts Cats Xfr1000 with pipes went 121 . Oh Rock is using 24/40 gearing and stock weights.

that is one out of tune radar gun IMO.

Dan

A 24/40 must be similar to a 23/38 right??? I have done that trick with the sharpie and on the clutch sheeves to diagnose clutch problems in the past..

One way or another. I dont want to loose any top end. Everyone seams to be on board with this so Im gunna get the 23 top gear and start tinkering with my clutch.

Top Speed

No two Guns were same as Gps they just know what there doing.Ask Mr Sled he knows them as some of the best tuners there is ,stock or turboed they make there own turbo kits to.

enticer294 said:
No two Guns were same as Gps they just know what there doing.Ask Mr Sled he knows them as some of the best tuners there is ,stock or turboed they make there own turbo kits to.

I dont doubt there are alot of good tuners(but you said stock apex),i talk with them all alot...but in my experience,my apex around my area has never been touched in any race or radars....i am always 3-5mph above any apex/attack i have run....i radar and gps as much as possible.

my best is 120.9 on radar......I have heard of 121 and even a 122....but have not ever seen above that. I have heard claims to that but never proof.

Im sure it might be able to be done,but that day there must have been something ODD going on.....

-either a tailwind?
-or a sloped road?
-or a gun that is alittle happy.

I hit 129.7 on my mach a few times in tailwind(old ck3) but i KNEW that sled was only a 125mph sled on a normal day.

so im guessing that day there was something going on....wish i was there cause i would have run 130 most likely!...LOL

Dan

11000 rpm on apex with 24-40 =115mph. same sled with overdrive clutches(.9) =127.71. raising the rpm up to 11250 with stock clutches and 24-40 gears is good for 117.55. got some happy radar guns at 128.5, ya think?

ROCKERDAN said:
enticer294 said:

I dont doubt there are alot of good tuners(but you said stock apex),i talk with them all alot...but in my experience,my apex around my area has never been touched in any race or radars....i am always 3-5mph above any apex/attack i have run....i radar and gps as much as possible.

my best is 120.9 on radar......I have heard of 121 and even a 122....but have not ever seen above that. I have heard claims to that but never proof.

Im sure it might be able to be done,but that day there must have been something ODD going on.....

-either a tailwind?
-or a sloped road?
-or a gun that is alittle happy.

I hit 129.7 on my mach a few times in tailwind(old ck3) but i KNEW that sled was only a 125mph sled on a normal day.

so im guessing that day there was something going on....wish i was there cause i would have run 130 most likely!...LOL

Dan
Well i hate to burst your bubble dan, but wolfie has run 126 many times here in maine in poland maine on range pond and they even provided vid and gps pics to prove they have run that fast,now they also have ran 125 on an 02 srx lowered as well as there 06 apex, but ya it has 1/2 inch track,lowered chassie,special clutching and gearing,but most important,all stock power,no pc3,no air mods of any kinds,and no timimg advancements of any kinds,plus no mods to exhaust,just chassie,clutching and gearing. Period. i think they hit with a tail wind in 2000 feet 127 mph radar. Pete

i dont think im the one in a bubble....but thanks for that.

We run at 1100 feet above sea level where i am,and i have yet to see any apex run those speeds without a tailwind...

in a tailwind all bets are off....ive seen gains of 7mph in gusts.

as i said,a stock apex will not run 128mph without something odd going on.

dan

Back