• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Speed AND The Yamaha Apex.... Whats the dreameter sayin?

mnmsnowbeast said:
MUSKIE said:
In 06 was not the GT the only sled to come with a 24 tooth top gear ?? I have since went down to a 23 but G-Force told me to put the 24 back in before i bring them my sled...Why do you think that might be ?Would it be that with the new hp the Apex will handle the 24 gear ??? Any thoughts on the 24 gear ??????? :rocks:
All the apex models except the attak had 24 top gear in 06,and the rtx changed skids in 07 so they dropped it down from the 24 to the 22 top. My guess is your new hp can in most conditions handle the 24 top now!!
2X more horses will make the clutches shift out further.

23 gear with cut clutches is best setup for Overdrive and low end IMO(good for a theoretical 126 or so)

only needed if you are hitting 120 or more though IMO

stock OD with 23/38 is good for theoretical 120 or so max.

Dan

tstewartfn14 said:
mnmsnowbeast said:
MUSKIE said:
In 06 was not the GT the only sled to come with a 24 tooth top gear ?? I have since went down to a 23 but G-Force told me to put the 24 back in before i bring them my sled...Why do you think that might be ?Would it be that with the new hp the Apex will handle the 24 gear ??? Any thoughts on the 24 gear ??????? :rocks:
All the apex models except the attak had 24 top gear in 06,and the rtx changed skids in 07 so they dropped it down from the 24 to the 22 top. My guess is your new hp can in most conditions handle the 24 top now!!
2X more horses will make the clutches shift out further.[/quoteWell more horses always help,but the clutches will only shift out as far as the front closes and the back opens,thats it,even if you have a wider belt,all you will do is shift out quicker,than drive the belt so far to the top it flips over,not what you want. So more hp always gets more top speed,when you dont have enough gear,than its time to gear up,i have Overdriven clutches that some times work ok,but dont forget overdriving your clutches works great in low friction conditions best,once you start out on daily hard charging aggrissive riding all bets are off,this even includes windage plates,i have used all the tricks over the years,and spent thousands and thousands of dollars on all sorts of mods on almost every sled you can think off,starting with 1969 rupp gt300 lol,well not much to mod on that old thumper,but you get the picture,i think the work these guys have done on the yamcharger for the buck is going to be a good value for what we get,but still no match for an all out turbo or supercharger on 10-15lbs boost.]

Im really thinking I will leave it stock until I get the yamacharger. I was thinking I would run different clutching at that ime

What do I need to do to extract the extra HP with stock clutches?? Pay the $400+ for a clutch kit???

When you say cut clutches are you talking about machineing the sheeve faces?? We all do this with our rhinos for more top end, is this something you guys are doing on the apex too???

ScottyD said:
well i'm going grabbing a 23 top and longer chain to do the swap, i hope it will pick up at least 5mph on the speedo

Let us know what ya find. Im thinking about it but Im worried, I just dont want to start messing with shiz. I like the way the sled rides and for once Im trying to take my wifes advice and keep the wrenches in the tool box..... I have 9 miles of lake that I run hard and I dont want to loose any on the tip top end. Let us know if you think you lost anything on the very top end.... I just worry about that, seams impossible to drop a gear and not loose top end. Unless the motor is unable to pull the taller gear but in this case it feels like its pulling it fine.... Im still undecided on this..

DIDNT HAVE THE GPS ALONG ON THE ICE THAT DAY 07 RTX 24/40 GEARING CLUTCHS AND HELIX CUT FOR OVER DRIVE AIR BOX MOD 3 DEGREE KEY LOWERED FRONT 96 STUDS 1 1/4 RIPSAW SINCE THAN INSTALLED GT MONO SHOCK 1 1/4 ICE RIPPER XT SINGLE PLY TRACK WAS HOPING TO PICK UP SOME SPEED WITH THE LIGHTER TRACK RAN 130 THE OTHER DAY ON HARD PACK WAITING FOR GARE ICE PATH YET JEFF

I no that some people are saying that the 23 is a better gear then 24 BUT i still can not seem to understand why the 24 would not give you more speed ?( Not counting using any overdrive set up)..Just cluching on that end of it..You would think that the bigger the gear /the bigger the speed ? Is not the 23/38 a 1.65 ratio and the 24/38 a 1.58 ratio.?? :o| Not sure what to think anymore... :drink: ..LOL ..ok- 2 more :drink: :drink: LOL

MUSKIE said:
I no that some people are saying that the 23 is a better gear then 24 BUT i still can not seem to understand why the 24 would not give you more speed ?( Not counting using any overdrive set up)..Just cluching on that end of it..You would think that the bigger the gear /the bigger the speed ? Is not the 23/38 a 1.65 ratio and the 24/38 a 1.58 ratio.?? :o| Not sure what to think anymore... :drink: ..LOL ..ok- 2 more :drink: :drink: LOL
Yes but just because it has a better top speed ratio,does not mean it is the most effiant ratio the sled can pull,yamaha like most big company's run the best ratio for speed and gas milage,and in most cases the 24 does just fine,but if you need just the best there is with a combo that runs hard all the time,than 23/38 and clutches just right works awsome.

Ran 22/38 gearing 1" snow covered oakland ponds dream meter read 132mph at 11100 rpm, going to try 23/38 when the weather is colder

23 or 24 uses 70link chains.....while 22 uses 68 link.

24 gear is less efficient,and not needed for stock HP apex. a 24/38 gear is good for theoretical 126mph which you will never see even close to on a stock motor.

this is why 23 is best setup in most cases.

Dan

Back