• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top speed of a 4 stroke Phazer...

Mr.snow

Hi guys. I am new to totallyamaha but not to the brand. My first sled was a 88 Phazer. I sold that in 96, and 98 bought an Indy 500. Both sleds were a blast to ride but I liked to power of the liquid cooled motor just a little better than the fan cooled motor.

Now, I was telling my buddy that I would love a 4 stroke sled if they could make something the same horspower and weight of my Indy5. The Indy5 is 'bout 80 hp and 470lbs.

Well, enter the new Phazer! 80hp and 465lbs. Wow that sounds great!

My question is: should I expect the same top speed with similar hp and weight?

I keep hearing from my guys, "You won't top 70 with that thing!"

I say, why not?! It has the same hp and weight as my indy. It should not matter that it is 4 stroke and the indy is 2 stroke, should it?

Is there something in the gearing that does not permit this? If there is, could a clutch kit or a gear change fix this?

Is there someone who has ridden one of these on trails that had it topped out?

Thanks. ;)!

I remember someone saying around high 80s, but don't hold me to it. That high suspension will take away from top speed though...

First off, :welc: to TY, the only place to be for Yamaha info. :rocks:
As to your question, there shouldn't be a problem with performing like your other 500 class sleds.
There are a bunch of posts in here from around March. That's when a chunk of the members here had a test drive opportunity.

Hope you find the info you're looking for.

History seems to show that Yamaha 4-strokes tend to have a higher top speed than lighter weight and equally powerful 2-strokes. Sometimes they like to run right with MORE powerful 2-strokes, like RX1 (140hp) with Cat ZR900 (150hp), and RX1/Apex (145hp) with Doo Mach Chicken (165-ish ?? - too much conflicting information to make accurate determination). Regardless, expect that poo indy to be toasted. And if it doesn't COMPLETELY humiliate the poo, turbo it and humiliate any stock 2-stroke 1000.

Thanks for the replys guys!

I didn't think that there should be any reason it should not at least be as fast as my Indy500.

Forgive me, but I am still gonna wait a season to see it on the trails and maybe rent one to ride it. Besides I just rebuilt my motor on the Indy5.
9790 miles and it wasted the pto bearing.

I would rather take my sled in at 15000 miles for it's first valve job.

Good luck to those of you who purchased one for this season.

I will be checking back to see what your views are after owning one.

P.S. I would love to see some pictures of an actual production sled when one of you get yours home! I bet it would not be to difficult to get you to take some picture of your new ride.

Thanks again.

well i drove the phazers up in the ty ride up in munising...snow conditions were garbage, but i drove the phazer gt, phazer fx, and the venture lite. i never did get a chance to open up the phazer gt or phazer fx on a flat smooth surface, but i did manage to open up the venture lite on a flat smooth surface and managed to achieve 76mph...and that was leaning down and everything.

Before the Phazer was released and Jimmy Blaze was testing the new sled out, I sent him an email regarding the top speed of the Phazer. His reply was that he would hit 80mph consistently.

Grimm said:
Before the Phazer was released and Jimmy Blaze was testing the new sled out, I sent him an email regarding the top speed of the Phazer. His reply was that he would hit 80mph consistently.

80 mph on the speedo or the GPS.......cause if that is on the speedo i bet all yr gona get out of it is like high 60's low 70's :rocks:

Phazer dude said:
Grimm said:

80 mph on the speedo or the GPS.......cause if that is on the speedo i bet all yr gona get out of it is like high 60's low 70's :rocks:
i dont think that the speedo would be that far off would it...we did a test one time on a nice lake to see how off the speedo's were, for arctic cat it was about 10kph for bombardier it was about 7kph and for yamaha it was only 2 or 3kph, this was an actual 99% non biased test to..from what your saying its off over or close to 10mph.

The sled is geared for about 85 MPH before the clutches lock up completely and can no longer shift. That puts it at about 95 MPH indicated on the speedo.

100mph is going to be tough to achieve either way. This sled is setup for corner to corner acceleration and big bumps.

Attachments

• factory race pipes from japan.jpg
    factory race pipes from japan.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 94
I think you are going to see alot of people only keep these for a short time and then sell them. They will convince themselves at first that its all the speed they need but will get bored quickly when they are only able to reach 80 mph, there is alot more than tight trails. just my opinion, I think I will wait for the 3 holer or at least close to 120 horse. I'm also guessing that like any other sled the topend numbers are not quickly hit it is a somewhat gradual process, so when do these things start crawling up the speedo 70-74 mph?

Back