• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top speeds either gps or dreameter some fast,some slow???

I would bet that the guys who are running slow are also running sleds that have their tracks set too tight. I know when I gave a damn about top speed, running a tight track would kill top speed. I also think that Yamahas factory track tension specs are too tight.

jds1000 said:
I would bet that the guys who are running slow are also running sleds that have their tracks set too tight. I know when I gave a damn about top speed, running a tight track would kill top speed. I also think that Yamahas factory track tension specs are too tight.
Is it possible that the Yamaha factory track tension specs are more about keeping the track from derailing in turns as opposed to achieving top speed? :dunno:

I adjust all my tracks as loose as I can without ratcheting, and last winter I saw 122mph on the speedo on the airstrip in Grand Marais, Michigan, with about 3 inches of fresh snow on top of some hard pack. Sled was still pulling hard I just honestly ran out of guts,as the snow was hard enough underneath and just rough enough to make the sled rock enough to scare the crap out of me at that speed. I had my GPS with me but I don't have a mount on the new Attak so it was in my pocket. Oh yeah sled is 2007 Attak stock for now. Gene

tryanATTAK said:
I adjust all my tracks as loose as I can without ratcheting, and last winter I saw 122mph on the speedo on the airstrip in Grand Marais, Michigan, with about 3 inches of fresh snow on top of some hard pack. Sled was still pulling hard I just honestly ran out of guts,as the snow was hard enough underneath and just rough enough to make the sled rock enough to scare the crap out of me at that speed. I had my GPS with me but I don't have a mount on the new Attak so it was in my pocket. Oh yeah sled is 2007 Attak stock for now. Gene

Maybe you thought your GPS was not reading right cause it was in your pocket, or you didn't want to post, but it was probably in the 108-110MPH range, right? I ran 123MPH on the river, but GPS MAX was 109MPH. That's assuming you don't have any teeth cut off the speedo gear...

132 MPH speedo on an iced over dirt road with about two inches of fluff on it in the u.p.. That is with stock weights, 23 tooth gear, 144 studs and white secondary spring. Not the smartest thing I have done, but not the dumbest either.

Maybe you thought your GPS was not reading right cause it was in your pocket, or you didn't want to post, but it was probably in the 108-110MPH range, right? I ran 123MPH on the river, but GPS MAX was 109MPH. That's assuming you don't have any teeth cut off the speedo gear...[/quote] ZR800EFI, I honestly did not even look at the speed on the GPS, it was in my pocket of my jacket. I'm sure you are right about the actual speed though but even at that speed it was a scary ride with the skis bouncing around like that. My common sense took over and I backed off the throttle, but it was still pulling strong so I know it had some left. I'm going to get a mount on the Attak this year so I can see how optimistic the speedo is. Gene

Back