• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Torsion Springs not the same -- issues?

Mills

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'14 Viper RTX, '06 Apex, '99 SX 600, '74 TL433F, '79 Trail Fire
I purchased a ’14 hold over Viper RTX new in the box late last year. I now have 1,800 miles on it and decided that I needed to go through all the bearings in the sled before I put it away because anyone I know with a Cat has bearing problems. I removed the skid to have better access to everything and to do the mod to the Tri-hub to make the bearings removable/serviceable.

In doing so I rotated the torsion springs back so that the long arm of each spring was sitting on the Tri-hub axle just to get them out of the way. I immediately noticed that the short arm sections of the springs that engage the torsion adjusters were sitting at different angles between the two torsion springs (see picture below). Because they are not the same, one spring is going to have more preload than the other. After looking at them I am guessing that the exhaust side spring (spring in background of picture) will have more preload on. To be equally preloaded the clutch side spring (foreground) would have to be about two setting higher in to be the same as the exhaust side spring.
My questions are:
1. If I have both torsion adjusters set the same for both springs, will I be able to feel any difference in preload between the two.
2. Will the difference in preload create any handling issues?

upload_2018-4-12_11-14-31.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-12_11-14-18.png
    upload_2018-4-12_11-14-18.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 42

I’ll be. Won’t hurt anything. Many set torsions different from side to side for 1/2 positions. Good catch though.

To famaliarize myself with Cat stuff, I read ArcticInsider, and they said that setting the cams in different spots is fine, so using that logic, different rates should be too.

To famaliarize myself with Cat stuff, I read ArcticInsider, and they said that setting the cams in different spots is fine, so using that logic, different rates should be too.
I never knew that or even thought about it. I alway did the same on each side cause that’s what my dad taught me. On my sidewinder ltx le I ran on 2 and thought 3 was a little to much. Can’t wait to try 2 1/2 but now I have to wait till next year or maybe hit up tug hill one more time soon

I never knew that or even thought about it. I alway did the same on each side cause that’s what my dad taught me. On my sidewinder ltx le I ran on 2 and thought 3 was a little to much. Can’t wait to try 2 1/2 but now I have to wait till next year or maybe hit up tug hill one more time soon
I believe my ski doos always said set them the same, and it sounds strange, but it is not independent suspension, as the total combined pressure works through the solid axle and single shock.
Tug still has snow??? Don't tempt me!! lol!

I believe my ski doos always said set them the same, and it sounds strange, but it is not independent suspension, as the total combined pressure works through the solid axle and single shock.
Tug still has snow??? Don't tempt me!! lol!
I saw a report on trail conditions.com, it didn’t look bad from the pics but I’m sure it is localized

we rode about 90 miles last weekend in Trego WI. Had about 2ft of snow in the woods yet and a foot on the lakes. Storm warnings are out for tomorrow through Sunday for anywhere from 5.9" - 16.5". Guess we might get to ride again next weekend.

Back