• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track cutting success

MikeWalters

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer
Hey Guys,

I successfully cut my track to fit the Phazer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMqfW4YErCA

TIPS:

-Get 2 buddies to help. 1 to pull track, 1 to catch the ripped off portion of the track

-DO IT OUTSIDE. Very stinky I found out.

-The guy pushing through the saw, wear a FACE SHIELD.

-Hook up a powerful shop vac to your saw, to suck away some of the rubber. It helped for sure.

-Go very slow, you can see when 2 lugs are on the blade your saw will bog down.

-Use a powerful saw, it was a little tough on my Ryobi, but OK if you're patient. A 15amp Dewalt or Bosch or something would have been much easier.

-I used a finishing blade and it seemed to cut very smooth. I was a little worried that a general cutting blade would grab too much with a not too powerful saw.

-Make sure you have a heavy guage extension cord if you need it. I used a 12guage cord plugged into a 20amp outlet.

-Some sort of table help to feed track in.

I'll post some pics tonight if I get a chance, I have to resize them first, they are too big.

nice write-up. doesn't that smell good. hah.

i cut mine down just using a circle saw with little fence bolted on. a couple saw horses, & a bunjie cord to hold the track up.

bought a cheap saw (thinking it would be junk after) then just a standard carbide tipped blade.

take's some time to do it but go slow so you don't burn up the motor.

Actual cutting time was about 30 minutes.

With set up/clean up about an hour. Installing track this weekend!

Cut down 144" x 1.75 Camoplast Back Country track took about 45 minutes and did it by myself. Ran chain from tree to tree with pvc pipe to drape the track over and it turned fairly easy. took some pictures will post them soon.

Track Cutting

This is what I did by myself

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 92
Thats pretty ghetto! Glad it worked for you. It reminds me of someone having a V8 hanging by a chain from a tree.

When you cut the track it actually turns out pretty clean. As long as you go slow and use finess because it will pay off. I just cut mine down last night. 1.5"X136" Intense cut down to 14.25". Smelly but as somone said do it outside !!! I tried to turn the track inside-out but it was pretty hard man !!! Not like a belt althoufgh i was using the same technique.

agreed jeremy, it's hard to turn inside out.

cutting turns out clean, then just burn the ends to try & seal it up. you'll get a little fray once it stretchs a little after use, then just burn it some more.

Back