• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

trailtank

venturer

Veteran
Looking for opinions from anybody with a trailtank on the nytro. How does it look? Is it hard to install? Does it interfer with anything such as the fan, etc. Trying to decide whether to purchase one or if it's just as well to just have fuel caddies. Any info would be appreciated.

I have had the same trail tank on 2 nytros for a total of 9000 miles. The tank looks factory installed to people who don't know it is after market. I have done 4 trail tank installs and on all I added flat washers to space the fan away from the tank and turned the ignition coils so the plugin is to the left so they don't rub the tank. The tanks are a tight fit. I just had the tank off a month ago to change exhaust donuts when the temp was 100 degrees out and the tank must expand alot with heat because I had a hell of time getting it back on and couldn't get it to go as far forward as normal. I should have put in the freezer and it prabably would have went on eazy. I am very happy with the trail tank. It has saved me form running out of fuel atleast twice.

I have had it on for a full season, same items as above but,

-loosen the hoop and push forward and retighten (it will give you some more room

-adjust where wiring comes down the right side of hoop for more clearance also

-spin the spark plug caps for more clearance with tank

-change spark plugs cause never getting them out without tank coming off

awesome addition to sled, never noticed the extra weight either.

For me the extra fuel the trail tank adds was a must. I ran out of gas a couple of times before installing it. The radiator fan blades run close to the Trailtank. Mine actual hit so I shimmed the top of radiator forward away from the tank with a couple washers. adding the IP vent should take care of any air flow concerns when adding a Trailtank. I installed snap fasteners to replace the thumb screws which make dealing with removing the hood much easier.

Trail Tank fastener mod:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... trail+tank
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... trail+tank

My advice is to get the black trailtank. While the white tank looked good when new, it does get dirty over time and not easy to keep it looking new.

trail tank the only way to go, i've got two. but it is a pain to take in and out, you would think they could work on that. try using a ratchet strap from one foot well to the other going around the tank to pull it in. you may need to put a 2x4 under the back center of tank to keep it off the 2 mounting studs until it clears.

most guys will tell you a trail tank is the way to go if you ride long distances, i dont have one, but from what i have read i would agree. i dont have one, only due to the fact that the guys i ride with i can go just as far as they can, i do pack 2.5 gal on my rear rack just in case one of us needs i though. i would say only get the trail tank if you cant go as far as your riding partners.

guys will also say it adds extra weight, well i would say that you dont HAVE to fill the trail tank full! ;)!

There is also the tour buddy tank that goes on the rear. Ive also seen guys using a a ski doo style storage tank on Xtx and mtx models to keep the weight in the rear, since the sled is already top heavy over the column

sheetwright said:
There is also the tour buddy tank that goes on the rear. Ive also seen guys using a a ski doo style storage tank on Xtx and mtx models to keep the weight in the rear, since the sled is already top heavy over the column

I saw a tour buddy tank on a nytro rtx last year. For people worried about weight it is a good idea because it takes the gas from the tour buddy tank first. (looks kinda wierd IMO but not horrible).

Have you talked to anyone using a skidoo tank on the back of an xtx? I was think about that but am a bit worried about the exhaust on the nytro being so close. Even with a turnout I would think the can would still get warm.

I can't understand why Yamaha doesn't just redesign the gas tank to allow more fuel, so easy for them to do. Just make the tank taller and larger towards the rear of the sled and in the process, the seat would be higher too.

Grimm said:
I can't understand why Yamaha doesn't just redesign the gas tank to allow more fuel, so easy for them to do. Just make the tank taller and larger towards the rear of the sled and in the process, the seat would be higher too.

I agree.... The claims for weight from company to company I believe lead to this. Also that IMO the riding of the Nytro adding another 19Lbs to the center gravity at that height makes the sled tippy for fast corner to corner riding. Hence the reason the Yamaha race sleds usually have the rear aluminum tanks on the back instead. Wish someone sold one of these instead of the Tourbuddy plastic, or Yamaha would put them under the seat like you say.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=84001 Picture of a race sled tank

IA Rider said:
I have had the same trail tank on 2 nytros for a total of 9000 miles. The tank looks factory installed to people who don't know it is after market. I have done 4 trail tank installs and on all I added flat washers to space the fan away from the tank and turned the ignition coils so the plugin is to the left so they don't rub the tank. The tanks are a tight fit. I just had the tank off a month ago to change exhaust donuts when the temp was 100 degrees out and the tank must expand alot with heat because I had a hell of time getting it back on and couldn't get it to go as far forward as normal. I should have put in the freezer and it prabably would have went on eazy. I am very happy with the trail tank. It has saved me form running out of fuel atleast twice.

Word of advice, if you need to remove the tank for donut replacement reinstall it asap. I found ethonal in the fuel makes the tank expand to a point where it's impossible to fit it back in. If it was the same quality as a Yamaha tank I would still have it on my sled.

Grimm said:

Alot of what yamaha does makes my scratch my head and wonder, WHY. The bad thing about tanks on rear is it takes longer to fill up,you have to stop to dump gas in, and they eat up your rear storage for a pack. If you have a good set of skis and tuned in shocks the extra gas in the trail won't matter unless you suck at ridding!

Back