• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TRANSFER ROD ADJUSTMENT

JERSEYJOE

Expert
I need assistance adjusting the Apex transfer rod. what is a good position for trail riding? Have wide front kit, lowered to A Arms parallel to ground, limiter up one hole, do not run studs. Explain exactly where to measure and or picture?

I have mine set for maximum transfer. As Tom asked, do you have the special wrench that was in your tool kit? I have attached the page from the manual where it shows the procedure. The adjustment scale is on the special wrench.

Attachments

• Transfer.JPG
    Transfer.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,324
COUPLING AND WEIGHT TRANSFER
the longer the travel the more weight transfer allowed. Less transfer = more coupling= skis more planted on the trail less hookup more control. More transfer = more rocking motion front to rear= more ski lift better hookup=less control.it's finding the balance that works for you, your weight your ride style, conditions ect ect.
Correct. The shorter stroke reduces amount of weight that is transferred. More weight stays on the skis. The longer stroke allows more weight to be transferred to the rear.

This is by one of our members

Correct, longer gives you more weight transfer to the rear. Be careful to not go past the maximum length as shown on the scale on the tool. If you adjust it beyond the maximum length you will not have enough threads holding it together and you can strip out the threads and pull it apart.

Is there any ride difference (rear suspension) between a longer transfer and a shorter transfer setting, or is transfer (skis in the air or not) the absolute only thing the trnasfer rod does?

Anybody have trouble with the control rod. Mine seems to be frozen up! Tried penetrating oil and tapping it but wont budge.

Is there any ride difference (rear suspension) between a longer transfer and a shorter transfer setting, or is transfer (skis in the air or not) the absolute only thing the trnasfer rod does?
I have never noticed a difference in ride quality, only handling and transfer.

Anybody have trouble with the control rod. Mine seems to be frozen up! Tried penetrating oil and tapping it but wont budge.
You are going to have to pull it apart. I have heard of them freezing up but have never experienced it. You are going to have to pull it apart and rebuild it.

Dmaxx, not sure how many different variations of the transfer rods there are but I have a perfect set off from an 03 rx1 mountain you can have if they will work for you. Either pick them up or whatever the shipping is.

Never mind, quick search and they are different. Can't help ya.

Last edited:
Are you sure that you are tapping on the locking nut? If you are...tap harder to loosen, adjust the rod, then re-tighten the locknut.

I gave it more than a tap. if I "tap" any harder, it will destroy it. Gonna leave it alone as the transfer is just fine.

Back