• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Close Offs

Rayman5271

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha SR Viper XTX SE
I'm going to have my sled apart again this weekend to do some exhaust mods. I've been reading about tunnel close-offs, but saw they were complete close offs and they were using a under tunnel exhaust.

Anyone closed off their tunnels while still using the stock exhaust? I was thinking about fabingg a piece of aluminum to fit around the stock pipes. I was curious if anyone has tried this and got away with it? I was worried about the heat from the header and silencer being to warm under the seat and melting my toosh.

Thanks
Ray

Here's a photo of the exhaust shied I made for the Nytro. It's 36" long, 0.05" thick and mounted to the lower side of the tunnel protectors. If your track is studded it would make sense to either mount plastic strips (maybe old hyfax) along the rivet line or mount this above the protectors (a lot of work).

I ran a similar piece last year, but only 24" long, with very good results.

Attachments

• ExhaustShield3.jpg
    ExhaustShield3.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 162
i

i dont know if i would recomend it. i just read excells header/exhaust install directions, and they claim that under certain conditions the rear plastic can melt down if you dont do a cool down period with their under seat exhaust. theres prob a reason yami lets the snow hit that can to cool it. just my 2 cents.
im going under-tunnel and running into issues of my own with the stock header angle. :o|

I just did mine today !! Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• sled tunnel 062.JPG
    sled tunnel 062.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 129
  • sled tunnel 063.JPG
    sled tunnel 063.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 116
All the guys that ride out west in the mountains don't have to worry about sduds but here in NWL Michigan it is a must, or you will slid off into every snow bank.

sj why you say that. Air can still get threw up by the front and threw the sides where I left a gap. Well if thats the case I'm glad I'm insured.

Back