• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Issue Finally Resolved

UP bushman

VIP Member
Finally have the ice build up on tunnel resolved. I spent the extra time to box in the tunnel with 3/64 gauge aluminum sheeting to seat frame and cut arond bottom of muffler. It sure is nice to be able to take your hand and clean off the foot rails in stead of using a rubber mallet. Rode the unit (MTN. Lite) 50 miles in powder for the test and I'm definitely happy with the result. The exhaust being completely enclosed from the top and the build up under the tunnel to a minimum, no more than riding my other sleds. I did not feel comfortable closing tunnel flat under exhaust due to some testing I did with temporary piece. Noticed some hesitation and popping on acceleration. Here are some pictures of install, snow pictures on rails and underside to come.

Attachments

• 1-28-07 100 007.jpg
    1-28-07 100 007.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 105
  • 1-28-07 100 009.jpg
    1-28-07 100 009.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 115

I would say not on the popping like a typical 4 stroke, I've run this sled hard with the stock gearing and clutch weights and did not experience this until the tunnel was covered running at 10,000 RPM or higher for extended periods. Keep in mind this at tempratures around the 15 degree mark so what might happen at 30-45 degrees.

upbushman said:
I would say not on the popping like a typical 4 stroke, I've run this sled hard with the stock gearing and clutch weights and did not experience this until the tunnel was covered running at 10,000 RPM or higher for extended periods. Keep in mind this at tempratures around the 15 degree mark so what might happen at 30-45 degrees.

Have had my tunnel closed for some while now and havent noticed anything like you tell about. I have 3 hour's driving in 1'C/34'F right after i closed tunnel and no bog or popping what so ever!

Dont think that your closing of tunnel had anything to do with what you reports. Do you really think that the temprature on the manifoild would be hotter with tunnel closed than without?

I'v talked to a motor engineer/builder. I told him my concerne about closing my tunnel due to higher tempratures and also what I have read about power loss on this forum and that gave him a good laught. He sayd that someone must have mixed the terms about exhaust temprature and exhaustpipe temprature. Only reason to cool down exhaust would be avoiding anything near it to catch fire. He also told me that the exhaust gasses would expand much more in a warm pipe than it would in a cold one and it was wrong to state that the engine would breathe easier with a cold pipe.

Also, yamaha scandinavia know that I have my tunnel closed. They have picture of sled because they wanted to show the japs who were coming on a visit how we had solved the ice build up issue. If what I have done is dangerous to engine, loss in engine performance or other bad things I bet that the yaps would have spoke out loud about it. Havent heard anything from them and either have my dealer.

I think closing in the tunnel is the only answer to the snow/ice buildup, but you know if there is ever an angine failure with this setup they are going to point at that for the reason.
Upbushman,

With your exhaust boxed in, is it still open from the bottom so snow can hit it?

Yes the tunnel is open from the bottom, pictures to come later today of sled in the conditions I'm testing in. Heres a sample, thats a MTN Lite up there.

I closed the tunnel on my FX with a sheet of 1/16" aluminum 11"x24-1/2". Now I have NO ICE at all. I also removed the tail piece and lined it with heavy aluminum tape to sheild it from radiant heat from the muffler. I have ridden 50 or 60 miles like this and have no problems.

This is a must do for any phazer!!!!

Update

Here are some pictures of install, it would have been one solid piece if I would have ordered a wider piece. It serves the purpose for the prototype. I might weld the corners in the future, you can see there is just a rivet in corner under muffler. I will be putting a seal under seat edge from first bolt on cowling to the tank, It prevents dripping water down tunnel sides. The tunnel is dry compared to not having panels on.The pictures are bush riding 60 miles, and trail riding 60 miles. It's abulldozer too, deep stuff as you can see and also a convert of the GREEN.

Attachments

• IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    553.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    529.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    538.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1088 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1088 (Large).JPG
    154 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 88
Wow, That's great. Looks like it sheds ice better and still cools the muffler.

What part of the UP do you ride? I'm in the Marquette area. I ride almost daily, but have yet to see another Phazer on (or off) the trails.

;)!

yea looks good, it looks a like what I did but I decided to keep the back open to let air flow

Back