• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo air intake.

Armani

Veteran
Country
Norway
Snowmobile
Viper 2015 MTX 270 MCX Turbo
To all u guys in the "Boost" family,. do you have the air intake sock inside under the hood, ore over, and why?
Someone mount it over the hood only to show the neighbor that the sled have boost, but is there big benefits?

Yes there is big benefits to having it outside the hood air temp is waaaay cooler= more efficient power, and if your riding in fresh pow it will steam under the hood= loss of power.
Mine is currently under hood bc technician didn't want to scratch my hood trying to drill hole. When I go in for my thousand mile check up and I show him all the scratches I have already, and ill have him plumb it out.

They installer should be able to cut a nice hole. And it barely stick out of the front side.

Also, I always put a cover on my sled for that reason, to hide the fact it is turboed. Cause I agree, there is no need to display it.

Yes as stated above you need the intake outside the hood to draw in cool air to get the most out of your turbo. Leaving your intake under the hood is like soaking a rag in water placing over your nose and mouth and trying to breath.

Pluse leaving your intake under the hood is like having a hot girlfriend and making her wear a parka and baggy jeans everywhere. Show it off be proud of it, grab your junk in one hand and fist to the sky with the other because you are now the few, the proud, the turboed.:Rockon::Rockon::Rockon:LOL J/K

Yes as stated above you need the intake outside the hood to draw in cool air to get the most out of your turbo. Leaving your intake under the hood is like soaking a rag in water placing over your nose and mouth and trying to breath.

Pluse leaving your intake under the hood is like having a hot girlfriend and making her wear a parka and baggy jeans everywhere. Show it off be proud of it, grab your junk in one hand and fist to the sky with the other because you are now the few, the proud, the turboed.:Rockon::Rockon::Rockon:LOL J/K
Well said.

Big difference. Tried to keep my sled looking stock but it didn't work in deep pow. I saw only 0,5 bar of boost instead of normal 1,05. Had to pull the snorkel out to get fresh air.

0a41dfb47269f86c59498ad008c2b975.jpg
9451282764bcc897c68b845db6d5e442.jpg

This is my first turbo as well, my intake temps get real hot under the hood. I am also worried about the snorkel getting hung up on tree branches. How do you guys with experience think a vented side panel would work? Like this one from arctic cat.

This is my first turbo as well, my intake temps get real hot under the hood. I am also worried about the snorkel getting hung up on tree branches. How do you guys with experience think a vented side panel would work? Like this one from arctic cat.
It would definatly help!

Jabakanada, Looks like you have a small hole in your vent right by the exhaust flange? If so, mine did the exact same thing!! I should have left that heat shield in place....

Yep. I rolled over my sled in deep snow and that mesh got pushed against the hot turbo flange. I think that Frogzkins sells that same vent but with plastic trimmings/edges instead of aluminium.

Mine wasn't rolled, just out for a shakedown run! It melted a small oval hole about 3/8 wide by 3/4 long.... so I put the heat shield back in.... doesn't really look good imo, but if it keeps the Frogskin from melting, I guess that's how I'll leave it..

There is no comparison with the intake under the hood vs through the hood if you have a MCX 270 don't even try it under the hood a/f ratio is better now I even added 7g of weight to the clutch to keep it off the Rev limiter after putting it through the hood

Attachments

• 20141227_115609.jpg
    20141227_115609.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,020
I routed my MPI kit through the hood yesterday, took about 1 hour. All you have to do is cut out a few of the slots in the vent and it goes right through.

Update: First ride with the intake through the hood and WOW what a difference, I gained 300 rpm and the sled pulled much harder than before. No way that thing should be under the hood, and it also sounds way cooler with it out!

Last edited:

Back