• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo apex, Is it loud?

excav8ter

Veteran
Hey all, I have been lurking around here for a few months now... learning and gathering info to help me decide which sled to buy next. I want a turbo Apex Mtx. BAAAAAD. But, I ride in Michigan as well as out west, and Michigan is checking sound levels on sleds at random on the trails. I am looking at an 07 Apex Mtx with a Boondocker set up. My biggest concern is about how loud the sled will be, out west i am sure won't be a problem, but in Michigan I am pretty sure it will be. Am I asking for trouble buy buying a sled like this?

Thanks,
Ben

is it a side dump or a tunnel dump??

the tunnel dumps arent that bad, on hardpack they arent great, but i KNOW the side dump kits wouldnt even think about passing any sound tests. they are freakin LOUD as crap.

you could also fab a muffler onto it a little to help knock it down some, the boost is worth it.

I had the BD side mount with a tunnel dump, its loud and I dont think it would pass a Michigan test though..

go super charger no change to exhaust , i am glad in mi they are checking noise , i ride all the time in mi have a place near gaylord i dont want to loose any trails because of sleds to noisey..
just a thought..

jsjk-4-stroke said:
go super charger no change to exhaust , i am glad in mi they are checking noise , i ride all the time in mi have a place near gaylord i dont want to loose any trails because of sleds to noisey..
just a thought..

The sled is already set up with the Boondocker kit. I don't think at trail speeds it would be too bad, but if I was on the throttle hard, it would probably be pretty "barky". I DON'T want to risk losing trail access either, and don't want anyone to be pissed at me when I ride by. I am a pretty mild rider in the trails, but if an officer saw the intake sticking out the side of the hood, he may look twice and stop me.
The exhaust exits the sled in front of the right side foot well, it goes out the bottom of the belly pan. Is that still called "tunnel dump"?

No! tunnel dump means there is a hole drilled in the side of the tunnel, the exhaust goes toward the track. The hole is in front of the chaincase. Or they go thru the side panel, dump straight to the ground. There not a very good turbo kit, I been around bd kits for couple yrs. Like somebody suggested, supercharger with stock muffler, stock look. If your set on a bd sled, its going to be quite a channel to get a muffler in there, not alot of room after the exhaust down pipe does its bend. Good luck

RED said:
No! tunnel dump means there is a hole drilled in the side of the tunnel, the exhaust goes toward the track. The hole is in front of the chaincase. Or they go thru the side panel, dump straight to the ground. There not a very good turbo kit, I been around bd kits for couple yrs. Like somebody suggested, supercharger with stock muffler, stock look. If your set on a bd sled, its going to be quite a channel to get a muffler in there, not alot of room after the exhaust down pipe does its bend. Good luck

Thanks! Would I be better off to convert it to a tunnel dump? Will that make it quieter? Or should I skip this sled all together and look for a super charged sled?

Ben

excav8ter said:
RED said:

Thanks! Would I be better off to convert it to a tunnel dump? Will that make it quieter? Or should I skip this sled all together and look for a super charged sled?

Ben

now your thinking responcible.. ;)! .I think we should keep the turbos off trail and run the S.C. on trail..they run stock pipes..and trust me..when I hit the gas on my sled..even with the stock exhaust..its way louder..but when you just boot not rip its ok..We have lost lots of trails here cause of pipes..and now they check..skip the sled and look for a charger..boost is boost...lol..unfortunatly turbos make more noise than S.C...just my 2 cents..and 14psi. ;)! ..lol...

boost is boost but not same hp ;)

but I 100%... euh no... 110% agree on turbo not being very trail friendly in regard to noise.

On a non noise related note I believe a SC would be better on the trail. If I am not mistaken a SC does not have the "turbo lag" before it kicks in which would make it better corner to corner. It would be harder to find than a turboed sled though.

hmmm.... you would be surprised how a healty turbo have as throttle response even with a 2871 to spool up.

I do have a few datalog runs of my mountain turbo apex running a 2871... will try to get a screen shot of this. you'll see its virtually lag free.

Thanks everyone. I guess I will wait it out for a while. Perhaps I will find a sled thats right for me. I am going to call the dealer that built the sled and ask if i can make it quiet enough to be trail friendly. But I think I know the answer already....

Ben

Newer MCX kits with the muffler is pretty trail friendly. A tunnel dump is far from trail friendly, load as hell. I ride one, I know. Get a turbo kit with a muffler any brand and your OK

rxrider said:
Newer MCX kits with the muffler is pretty trail friendly. A tunnel dump is far from trail friendly, load as hell. I ride one, I know. Get a turbo kit with a muffler any brand and your OK

Problem is, finding a muffler that will fit, or can be fabricated to fit. This is THE sled I have wanted to try for the last 4 years.... i hope it can happen somehow.

Back