• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo viper tips

TurboJamie

TY 4 Stroke God
We are not strangers to boost and have built an mcx turbo viper. I always find it helpful to share ideas and setups in hopes to help other DIY guys out.

Being a DIY guy there is nothing about an mcx kit that anyone with average mechanical skills can't accomplish.

That being said i see a lot of posts with turbo kits being installed and tested guys i cant stress enough regardless of what your told install gauges! Bare minimum an afr gauge and verify your wot fueling. No leaner that 12.5:1 on these motors on pump junk!

I can tell you for sure even 1/2 lb of boost over 6si puts our viper in the danger zone of burn down lean. Just a heads up as everyone is enthusiastic but the gauges are worth a lot less than pistons!

Clutching that has our ltx spot on are Dalton components;
Dtay 1 weights empty
Dalton orange primary spring
Dalton 48/42 helix
Dalton red sec spring at 70*

This is a bang on hard hitting smooth engagement setup that turns 8800 rpm at 6 psi sea level. I have a turbo 1200 Doo myself at 6 psi and the Viper beats me in ET every time, we don't have gearing yet for the machine as nothing is available. I have more top end but it takes me a good 1/4 mile to make up the 5+ lengths it pulls me out of the hole. Once we have gears it might be quicker!

Also I wanted to note our first ride out the mesh was damaged by a stick for the clutch vent i made a shield to protect this. If there is any interest in these i will produce some and become a ty vendor.

Yes I agree, I need some gauges. I would like a boost gauge also. I don't have dalton clutching, but will keep those numbers in mind. Thanks! Where is a good place to get gauges?

I honestly prefer the high resolution boost gauges either the dynotune gauges or the VSI gauges both go down to .1 psi of boost resolution. AEM for instance only reads 1 psi of boost resolution so in reality say it was reading 6 psi it could be 6.9 psi!

The dynotune gauges are purchased direct. Mostly AFR is important if your leaner that 12.5:1 you must lower boost to a safer level. Keep in mind an mpi kit should be set to the highest boost you want to run on the absolute coldest day.

TurboJamie said:
I honestly prefer the high resolution boost gauges either the dynotune gauges or the VSI gauges both go down to .1 psi of boost resolution. AEM for instance only reads 1 psi of boost resolution so in reality say it was reading 6 psi it could be 6.9 psi!

The dynotune gauges are purchased direct. Mostly AFR is important if your leaner that 12.5:1 you must lower boost to a safer level. Keep in mind an mpi kit should be set to the highest boost you want to run on the absolute coldest day.

i have a koso digital guage. it reads 6 psi under full throttle but will jump up to 7-7.5 when i let off the throttle. is this normal? i really dislike the venting screen mcx includes in their kit so i put some frogzskins on.

and i did go with the mcx clutch weights. so what's next. i wanna make sure its reaching its full potential

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 893
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 883
You don't need the MCX vent we did not install and have abused this sled in deep snow breaking trail with zero heat issues so it is not needed in trail form.

You might get a momentary boost spike when you back out of the gas before the BOV opens.

You really need boost and AFR to verify at WOT on a cold day on a long pull you have enough fuel to sustain WOT operation.

TurboJamie said:
You don't need the MCX vent we did not install and have abused this sled in deep snow breaking trail with zero heat issues so it is not needed in trail form.

You might get a momentary boost spike when you back out of the gas before the BOV opens.

You really need boost and AFR to verify at WOT on a cold day on a long pull you have enough fuel to sustain WOT operation.

ok i m very new to all of this. afr? wot?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 839
I'm going to check out your advice for the gauges. I don't really want something that stands out though. I kind of want to keep it stealth. There is plenty of room for some gauges to be put in where they won't really stand out. With that in mind what do the gauges you were talking about look like? Are they round? I'm really like 5.5 pounds of boos right now. So hopefully I'm safe until I get my gauges. I'm also going to talk to MPI to see what they have for gauges.

Ok you want to check your Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) at Wide Open Throttle (WOT).

You will want to purchase an AFR gauge AEM is one of the best ones out there. The gauge and controller and built into the gauge so its just as simple as screw the sensor into the bung in the down pipe and supply + and - to the gauge.

See this vid for our gauge setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grxys-i9 ... W5G63Jax-w

These are AEM gauges in AEM gauge cups which are bolted through the torx bolts in your hood so no modifications to your sled. These can be purchased from any auto parts outlet cheaply. Look into Jegs or summit for gauges and pods if your in the USA. Though like I said earlier the dynotune and VSI gauges have a higher resolution down to .1 psi of boost so much more accurate.

On the dynotune spend the extra $10 for water proofing these are made for offshore boats and are very good for sledding environments

https://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/s ... product=20

Here is an example of a good AFR gauge

https://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/s ... roduct=342

AFR Air fuel ratio can be bought on ebay from about $128 with beautiful led readout and sensor that will screw into the 2nd bung that your manufacturer should have welded in the pipe after the turbo before the muffler.

WOT my god WIDE OPEN THROTTLE yeeeeamaha.....

Yamadog said:
AFR Air fuel ratio can be bought on ebay from about $128 with beautiful led readout and sensor that will screw into the 2nd bung that your manufacturer should have welded in the pipe after the turbo before the muffler.

WOT my god WIDE OPEN THROTTLE yeeeeamaha.....

oh duh me. well now i know

Sorry Kritter just being punchy did not get to ride mine today spent 4 hours trying to mount my Simmons Skis to no avail and destroyed the rubbers from the stock skis so I had to buy new ones and stick with stock skis and put dual runner double 6" carbides on her.

Yamadog said:
Sorry Kritter just being punchy did not get to ride mine today spent 4 hours trying to mount my Simmons Skis to no avail and destroyed the rubbers from the stock skis so I had to buy new ones and stick with stock skis and put dual runner double 6" carbides on her.

lol. ya that would anybody not happy. i went with just Cobra head 8 inch carbides. work real nice. now just need more snow

Here is a picture of my Koso guage .

Seeing 6.5 lbs of boost at times. Usually 6.

1000 ft elevation where I live.

Hope it's safe zone!

Attachments

• Gages.jpg
    Gages.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 825
  • Gages.jpg
    Gages.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 854
That's a nice looking gauge, I just want mine to be more hidden.

Back