• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Typical MPG on tow vehicle?

Read up on that 3.0 V6 diesel by Ford. Seems to be beast. I didn't see anything on fuel capacity, but definitely won't be 34gals. That's too bad.

GM is coming to the game, a little late. But they are preparing an inline 3.0 diesel as well. Not sure if it came from the canyon or what?

The manufacturers at all levels are really starting to embrace turbocharging as an alternative. What took so long?

well mpg did improve on last trip but just did a fresh service on everything as it was due.

Well my MPG is horrible and I don't even check anymore...doesn't matter if it's loaded or not. Love the truck and trailer though and it's been put to good use so I'm not concerned about MPG when my season is so darn short.

Attachments

• IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0561.jpg
    IMG_0561.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 197
Read up on that 3.0 V6 diesel by Ford. Seems to be beast. I didn't see anything on fuel capacity, but definitely won't be 34gals. That's too bad.

GM is coming to the game, a little late. But they are preparing an inline 3.0 diesel as well. Not sure if it came from the canyon or what?

The manufacturers at all levels are really starting to embrace turbocharging as an alternative. What took so long?
There is a optional 36 gallon fuel tank! Little over $400 to purchase it.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for the specs on Fords v6 diesel for months, they finally released them and I was very disappointed. The twin turbo 3.5 gasser has more HP and torque . I know people who have the dodge eco diesel and they get good MPG just driving normal but when they tow anything it gets horrible MPG. I really wanted the F150 but wanted a diesel too. I caved in and just bought the F250 with the monster diesel and it wasn't $75,000 either. Right now ford has great rebates on 2017 F250's, after all rebates and X plan it was $50,500. It's not loaded down but has everything I need.

Can't pass that up! I have to ask.....turbo? Lol! 10speed? Just asking......

Can't pass that up! I have to ask.....turbo? Lol! 10speed? Just asking......
But of course a turbo....lol. They have yet to pair the joint venture 10 speed tranny in the super duty line with a diesel motor, it is paired with the 6.2 gasser super duty though.

Hmmmm.......tire pressure was down 10-15psi on trailer. That can't help the cause.

I hate getting 8...... MPG!

Trailer.JPG
I just loaded up with flex fuel (appx 51% ethanol) and made a run to Keweenaw. And got a very depressing 6mpg. Couldn't even make 200miles and needed fuel. Yuck!
Wonder how that Ford Ecoboost does when pulling?
2017 F150 4x4 super crew 2.7 EcoBoost with 6 speed, 8.5 at 85 mph, 9.5 at 75 and 10.5 at 65, all in tow/haul mode.
Still love how it pulls, you have no idea trailer is behind you. (Trailer is a 2 place sport haven 12' hybrid 6' high with 2 4s in it with misc. equipment)
My 2005 F150 4x4 super crew 5.4 with 4 speed, was like 8 and trans was always hunting even in tow/haul mode.

Last edited:
Just to add my late numbers.

I get 7 mpg in a 5.3 Tahoe, pulling a two place enclosed.
And if I crank it up the mileage gets bad.

Two different Tahoes, same results.
The 6 speed is a bit better at towing though.

Yeah, my dic says 8mpg pretty much the rest of the year. Running 70mph. Some 75-80 & some at 60-50. Im positive a lower Ave speed would yield better result.

saying an inline gets same mpg as a clamshell, is not an accurate statement.

My mileage is due to wind drag. Empty or two long track 4 strokes is the same.
I went shopping for an inline this weekend. I thought they were lower, but with the larger tires they are within a few inches, so height is not that big of deal. The foot narrow could be worth almost 20% in frontal area, plus the small addition of the wheels/fenders.

The thing with the inline is I have to carry an extra 8 feet to have the same room in the trailer. (Yeah, you can fit them in a v-nose 14 + 5
v-nose, but I then lose the 4 feet of open storage I have. Any of them that you have to load from the front means you lose that storage, or have to move everything every time you load/unload.

It would be interesting, but I never met anyone that made the direct swap with the same tow vehicle on an inline to deck over trailer.
It's not the mileage as much as I know I'm working the truck hard when I drop the mileage from 17 mpg to 7 mpg.

My mileage is due to wind drag. Empty or two long track 4 strokes is the same.
I went shopping for an inline this weekend. I thought they were lower, but with the larger tires they are within a few inches, so height is not that big of deal. The foot narrow could be worth almost 20% in frontal area, plus the small addition of the wheels/fenders.

The thing with the inline is I have to carry an extra 8 feet to have the same room in the trailer. (Yeah, you can fit them in a v-nose 14 + 5
v-nose, but I then lose the 4 feet of open storage I have. Any of them that you have to load from the front means you lose that storage, or have to move everything every time you load/unload.

It would be interesting, but I never met anyone that made the direct swap with the same tow vehicle on an inline to deck over trailer.
It's not the mileage as much as I know I'm working the truck hard when I drop the mileage from 17 mpg to 7 mpg.
I store everything in front of V nose .I back sleds in from rear.

I store everything in front of V nose .I back sleds in from rear.

Me too, now.
Do you do that with an inline?
It seems like with the inline most people start using the front ramps.
(Sorry, did not mean to get too far off the MPG point of the thread. Trailer shopping gets me scrambled. :) )

View attachment 138673
2017 F150 4x4 super crew 2.7 EcoBoost with 6 speed, 8.5 at 85 mph, 9.5 at 75 and 10.5 at 65, all in tow/haul mode.
Still love how it pulls, you have no idea trailer is behind you. (Trailer is a 2 place sport haven 12' hybrid 6' high with 2 4s in it with misc. equipment)
My 2005 F150 4x4 super crew 5.4 4 speed was like 8 and trans was always hunting even in tow/haul mode.

I have a 2016 F150 2.7 EB 4x4 Super Cab XL FX4 Sport (very basic) with 3.73 rear end and OMG... does that lil f’er haul #*$&@! Haha!!!

Back