• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ulmer stage 1 turbo finally going with boost

peppahillcustom

Extreme
Finally got a chance to get a turbo setup and I jumped on it. I will be running an ulmer stage 1 with a few upgrades. I will be doing the install myself. Is there anything in particular I should be paying attention to during install? And how reliable will this setup be? Anyone still running one? What kinda fuel mileage should I expect trail riding? And lastly my rtx se is a 121 will a 128 relocate be enough traction for the turbo?

I have a similar set up and I have had terrible luck with mine. When it comes to snowmobiling I don't have great luck to begin with. I don't want to discourage you but this is what I have delt with. The install was a pain in the but, the gas tank didn't fit at all. The turbo blanket is super tight to the point I ripped some of the seems trying to get them on. Bad clutching for out west, poor fuel delivery system as many times it would be very lean. Then the boost controller wouldn't work to crank it up out west. I would look carefully if your exhaust gives enough, since you are eliminating the stock exhaust donuts/pivot point it can cause all kinds of issues. Mine wasn't giving enough and in return loosened the bolts on the exhaust flange melting all kinds of important electrical. This is a known problem I guess. Heat is the next issue, as it gets hot you can notice it as the air filter picks up hot air. Since I have changed fuel systems, clutching, air pickup, wiring, exhaust flange bolts, bov and so much more. Sorry to be a debby downer but all I have done with the Ulmer set up is chase problems he should have researched and perfected! Now all that being said when it is running decent then it sure is a blast. My sled I probably have more wrenching time then fun time. I wish you luck and like I said don't get to scared off as my luck sucks.

Well that's the total opposite of my experience I have a 2008 Rex that is stretched to 144 with ice age rails. The difference between yamamtx and mine is that Allan did my install have had no problems all I do is trail ride turned up to 11 lbs on pump gas. It runs about 180 degrees on the trail. I will say that with no matter what turbo setup you have 98 percent of the whole thing is install imo

4kops that is good to hear from sombody that has had good luck with this set up. It gives me hope! I feel with the install I was extremely carefull and talked with Allen probably 100 times through out the install to make sure everything was set right from the begining.

Oh I forgot to mention earlier that the waistegate was set up wrong from Ulmer which he has a bulliten out for. I would consider yourself lucky if you have had no problems as I have talked to several people on this site that have delt with many of the same issues as I have.

4kops said:
Well that's the total opposite of my experience I have a 2008 Rex that is stretched to 144 with ice age rails. The difference between yamamtx and mine is that Allan did my install have had no problems all I do is trail ride turned up to 11 lbs on pump gas. It runs about 180 degrees on the trail. I will say that with no matter what turbo setup you have 98 percent of the whole thing is install imo

Now which kit and turbo are you running 4kops? I to plan on driving it primarily as a trail sled, not a lot of off trail riding.

YamaMTX said:
Oh I forgot to mention earlier that the waistegate was set up wrong from Ulmer which he has a bulliten out for. I would consider yourself lucky if you have had no problems as I have talked to several people on this site that have delt with many of the same issues as I have.
I did do some looking around and anytime you modify something you can have issues. Was your kit one of the first ones? I do know allen made some improvements after his first few bathces of kits. I also was informed to be very patient with the install as most of the issues seen with his or any of the turbo kits out there is some form of install error. I am not to worried I have spoken with allen briefly and is some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with. I do work at a shop where we do a fair amount of fabrication so if things need to be altered I am not to worried about it, and I gotta think the heat will be less trail riding then off trail and i the mountains

My kit was bought less then two years ago. Maybe the trail version will be alot better and I know Allen has a lot more experience in flat land. As I was dealing with issues He pretty much admitted he hadn't tested out in the mountains which I thought was funny since my kit was a high elevation kit. I would still be careful of the heat as I have had my sled run the hottest on the trail if there isn't enough snow being kicked up. Before I got a new tank I had to put it on using a sledge hammer that is how tight it was and I used all of Allens tricks before going to that solution. Believe me in my situation it wasn't the installer in this situation. I believe Allen is sick of dealing with his turbo issues that is why he pulled them from his website. Just my .02 on that. I have spent pushing $6000 on the kit and improvements on this I feel like I should beable to enjoy it one of these days for that price. I have chased serious issues every time out. Sorry to be so sour

I would put braided coolant hoses on instead of the rubber ones that come with the kit, loctite the oil line fittings,and put heat sleeve on all hoses and coil wires,make sure you use stage 8 locking fasteners holding the turbo to the manifold,and you will good to go.I have a stage 2 it been trouble free last 2 seasons,(1400 miles) it rocks!!!

I'm using the disco potato. yes it does run warm but it rocks for a trail sled. I just hope that my Nypex runs that good with the MCX290 it. Now that should be fun for the trail.

Now will I be able to put a tunnel cooler in it to help with temps? And I will upgrade anything I can on install, highly considering putting an inline fuel pump regulator to be a little on the safe side and so I can up the boost if I want to

Buy MCX , bolt on and go , no issues , Trouble free 2011 290 hp Apex 9977 km so far.

Kit is going on with a few improvements. Gonna run a Pcv fuel system,adding a synapse blow off valve, and adding a external fuel pump. And a 1 to 1 regulator. Should be a safe set up for 8 lbs at sea level. And more then likely a mountain tech cooler.

Back