• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

under-tunnel exhaust (pics)

bdm

Expert
In the fine tradition of spending money that I don't have - I did some mods this season to my '03 RX-1M that I wanted to share.

I did a holz rear skid and under-tunnel exhaust and I carefully weighed both mods. The Holz dropped 32 pounds (I kept two of the stock bogey wheels that Holz recommended removing). The 12-inch glass pack saved 15 pounds. I did everything with the option of putting the stock exhaust back on and did not cut the tunnel. I did a miter cut on the exhaust turndown (instead of bending) so I could direct it exactly between the track and the rear heat exchanger. I also made mounts for the exhaust caps so it is difficult to tell that I changed anything.

FYI - the black brackets in the photos are for the removable two-up seat (I did not weigh that). I now have a trunk where the exhaust used to be - containing a massive first aid/survival kit, rope, and tools that I will not likely need (I did not weigh any of these as I used to carry them in my pack). My shovel blade went from my back-pack to the rear flap with my sled jack base and I mounted the sled jack on the left side. I put some eye bolts on the tunnel to bungee the back-pack so I can ride with nothing on my person. The basic tools that allow me to access the trunk will go in the front toolbox and the stock tools got canned.

I think that the glasspack is too loud but I will try a few rides before I decide if it was a mistake. I can pretty easily lift the rear now but have the sled jack as I almost always ride alone. Snow has been staying up high so far this season so I have none so far, maybe this weekend......

Attachments

• exh.JPG
    exh.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 92
  • trunk.JPG
    trunk.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 86
  • trunk2.JPG
    trunk2.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 69
  • mount.JPG
    mount.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 70
  • caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 98

It all looks good. I am a little suspect of that amount of downturn onthe pipe....have you collapsed your rear suspension to make sure it won't rub??? If the track rubs on the muffler itself it won't hur the track but if they hit that turndown it will cut the track. Good luck.

Rt

Trxster said:
It all looks good. I am a little suspect of that amount of downturn onthe pipe....have you collapsed your rear suspension to make sure it won't rub??? If the track rubs on the muffler itself it won't hur the track but if they hit that turndown it will cut the track. Good luck.

Rt

thank you for the input. I paid pretty close attention to the approach of the folks here on the site. In my opinion if the track comes up enough to hit something it will be the heat exchanger. If I draw a straight line along the top of the track with the pivot point at the drop bracket it appears that the turndown will be harder to hit than the heat exchanger and the turndown will be safe. I haven't ever hit the heat exchanger and I will keep an eye out for black marks on the turndown, on the glasspack, and on the exchanger.

This is the exausth, im gonna use.

35 $ Universal bike pipe.

And i will put the battery under the seat.

Do you use STainless steel pipe. Because, im not able to find some. I think the exausht is originaly in stainless ?

Attachments

• DSCN8276-m.JPG
    DSCN8276-m.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN8259.JPG
    DSCN8259.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 84
That looks loud as hell! Not sure you will need stainless........it is heavy and the heat will keep it dry at the end of the ride.

Aaron

hey man, how is life in North Pole?? I grew up there but haven't been there in about 7-8 years. I have a video of me riding with music but it also does have the sound of the glasspack. I could try to send it but it is pretty big (like 3-4mb). Maybe I could seperate the audio??

Rt

Trxster said:
hey man, how is life in North Pole?? I grew up there but haven't been there in about 7-8 years. I have a video of me riding with music but it also does have the sound of the glasspack. I could try to send it but it is pretty big (like 3-4mb). Maybe I could seperate the audio??

Rt

Life is good, the wife says it's already below zero and getting colder everyday. I can't wait to get back there this heat is for the birds. LOL

bdm sorry didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, what you did looks really good and I may go that route with mine. ;)!

Back