• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

update from those that cut every window of their track

yves F 7

Pro
can i have an update from you guys,did it cause problems,what is the real gain,i'm thinking of cutting every window of my original track,if you have tricks or advice please give them.
yves

I put SLP wear pads on mine rather than cut the track. Huge improvement in slider wear and very slippery. It will actually coast if you stop on a hill now.

TimC

SLP anti-wear pads are a huge improvement on my Apex. I have seen an increase of 10 - 15 MPH on the top end and have noticed signficicantly better fuel economy this year after installing them. I got a legitimate 15MPG with my Apex this weekend - I've never seen it that high before. Mine will also roll away on a slight hill and I actually have to use the brakes more often to stop. My hifax have 1800 miles on them this season and will not need to be replaced for next year.

I have a Vector as well and the prior owner cut round holes in the track over the hifax (1" diameter). Not sure if it is related, but I have noticable track vibaration on that machine that I don't have on any of my other Yamahas. Bearings have been checked and are all good.

I cut open windows and added track clips. No problems. My hyfax seem to be lasting longer, but that could also be due to better snow conditions and the wheels I've added at the bend in the rails. Maybe slight gas mileage improvement?, sled coasts better?

Wide or narrow hyfax don't seem to make a difference with open windows.

I just used an oiled utility knife and sat on the floor.. I'd do it again, but would rather if the factory gave us fully clipped tracks.

I cut all the windows without adding clips and its rolls better and let’s more snow in the skid. I also went with the skidoo 135 mm wheels and installed the narrower RX-1 slides. I used oil on the blade of a razor knife and it cut like butter.

Iceman57 said:
I cut all the windows without adding clips and its rolls better and let’s more snow in the skid. I also went with the skidoo 135 mm wheels and installed the narrower RX-1 slides. I used oil on the blade of a razor knife and it cut like butter.

I did the same thing to mine..

4-5 MPH difference on mine with all open windows.

Less friction and more snow to the slide = longer lasting slide.

Rock

I ride with a '05 RX1-ER and he FULLY clipped his track and I kept mine STOCK closed every 3rd, to be honest its very funny how snow conditions will affect the results, on really cold hard packed days he seems to heat up real quick and I run much cooler and the oppesite on milder days, in marginal low snow conditions he also heats up MUCH quicker fully clipped, fully clipped does get better TOP END, so I think its a 50/50 solution, better top end but lower speeds in marginal and milder condition tends to heat up quicker for a all around/condition I prefer CLOSED, I put on 6500kms/4000miles on a set of HYFAX last year and still had over 1/2 left, the only reason I changed them is cuz I had the skid out for my annual inspection...

I drilled 5/16 hole and stainless machine bolt and flat aluminum washer and narrow lock nut, Cut bolt of close to track and have run same sliders for 7000 miles . Still not near wear line on sliders. Sorry 2006 attack with skidoo oversize wheels. Sliders are not an issue for me.

Just add extra and larger idler wheels, there are many posts on how to do this. This is the best way to reduce slider wear if that's what you're after.

Grimm said:
Just add extra and larger idler wheels, there are many posts on how to do this. This is the best way to reduce slider wear if that's what you're after.
not really, i just want to reduce friction and wheight

Back