• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Update: Starter problem

DaveRX1

Expert
It appears that rhe starter is attempting to run backwards. When I attempt to run the starter, the clutch moves slightly....... Backwards!

I now feel that the starter has failed internally (shorted turns) and has somehow caused it reverse its polarity! If it has not damaged the one way mechanism I may just need the starter.

DaveRX1 said:
It appears that rhe starter is attempting to run backwards. When I attempt to run the starter, the clutch moves slightly....... Backwards!

Just fire it up "backwards" and shift it in reverse and you should be good to go!!! :jump:

Sorry, thats all I can come up with.

DaveRX1

Please do not make the same post over and over on the site about the same thing. You need to follow the rules and listen when a mod tells you so. If you dont want to abide by the rules I will remove you from the site. This will be out last attempt to get thru to you.

Tom

I am sorry if I have broken the rules, If I did, I did not realize that I was doing so. I felt that each post was different enough regarding to what was being asked that it deserved a thread of its own.

I am despirate for answers at this point, my waranty expired last month and this sled has been one issue after another.

I have been a member of this forum (member #3 on the original RX1.info site) and have allways been able to solve most any problem with the input of the members.

Dave

You will get more then enough results posting 1 post in the Phazer Area... and adding to this thread will always bring it back to the top.

Well I am here to tell you that it is POSSIBLE to remove the starter from a Phazer without engine removal. Acess is from the bottom and it is limited at best. I fought for nearly an hour to get that little sucker out. You would also swear that you need to cut out a diagnol frame brace under the motor, but keep you cool, It will come out .........with NO room to spare. I am still not sure that that starter is the problem, but I did take it apart and it dosnt smell good. It smells like burnt electrical (you know the smell)

New starter is on order +/-$400, I have my fingers crossed that this will fix it. Looking in the hole he starter goes into, I do not see any signs of broken parts or metal particles.

Are you sure what your describing is not hydraulic locking. If you go to start the sled and keep cranking it kicks backwords after cranking a bit (8-12 seconds). My Mountain Lite did it when it was 10 degrees or colder. The fuel mixture set in the computer was 0 and I set mine to -4. Let me know more detail.

upbushman said:
Are you sure what your describing is not hydraulic locking. If you go to start the sled and keep cranking it kicks backwords after cranking a bit (8-12 seconds). My Mountain Lite did it when it was 10 degrees or colder. The fuel mixture set in the computer was 0 and I set mine to -4. Let me know more detail.

That was my thought as well, repeated attempts to start a hydro locked would overheat the starter and cause the smell you describe. Have you tried turning the engine over by hand, with the plugs removed?

Good point guys, although that would really suck for Dave. I hope its just the starter and that you havn't had water sitting in there for a week.

What would happen if the decompression valves (solenoids) failed to operate?

-Steve

The starter would have to crank against normal engine compression. But if the decompressor failed, there would be other top end issues as well. I think the decompressor is centrifugal, not solenoid actuated.
There have been a small handful of starter related failures. My dealer wasn't sure what the cause was on mine.

I have discovered why the starter was running backwards! The two long allen head bolts that hold the starter together were loose, this allowed the magnetic stator to rotate out of phase. With the magnets in the wrong location relative to the brushes, the motor ran backwards! I have reset the stator to the index marks and it now has the proper rotation (CCW). I will put the starter back in tomorrow and hope it works. I believe the one way brg and gears are OK.

Back