• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Upgrading a 240hk MCX Nytro

makri

Hi,

I have a 240hk MCX Nytro.
I been thinking of upgrading my pistons and rods.

What pistons and rods should I go for in my Nytro?

http://www.jepistons.com/Products/274211.aspx
Would this pistons be ok? Should I still use the head shim provided from MCX?

As for the rods I have no idea where to look.

I'm also want to install a new fuel pump and regulator so I can run a little bit more boost, what can you guys recommend?

I have access to the MCX display unit.

Thanks

makri said:
Hi,

I have a 240hk MCX Nytro.
I been thinking of upgrading my pistons and rods.

What pistons and rods should I go for in my Nytro?

http://www.jepistons.com/Products/274211.aspx
Would this pistons be ok? Should I still use the head shim provided from MCX?

As for the rods I have no idea where to look.

I'm also want to install a new fuel pump and regulator so I can run a little bit more boost, what can you guys recommend?

I have access to the MCX display unit.

Thanks

Why?
In my opinion, without own experience tho only thru friends with boosted Nytro's and reading forums, is oem internals atleast as good as JE Pistons and Carillo rods for the boost levels your turbo charger is able to deliver.

An excellent upgrade is the MCX kit including Walbro fuelpump and adjustable fuelpressure regulator with new maps for the MCX ECU, then you have 270hp on pumpfuel.

Just my 2c.

Hi,

I have thinking about getting the 270 kit, but some guys have told me that the rods is the weakest link, and can brake.
I think if I change the rods I can change the pistons in the same operation if it will give me some benefits. But if the original parts are just as good, then I would not care about it.

I have the MCX display unit so I can change the map myself, so if I get a new fuel pump and regulator I can get the "270 kit"? Im right?

Anyway, thank you for responding to my post

You are absolutely right, then you have the 270 kit, i have not heard anyone having trouble with that boost level, feel more safe then running oem fuelpump, thats no1 thing to change.
More boost then 270 and you might need stronger internals, rods and studs for ex.

Call or mail Erik @ MCX, he set you up with all you need.

Ok, so the original piston and rods is good for up to 300hp.
What If I want to go beyond that?
Should I then go for the JE pistons and carillo rods?
I understand that the 16t turbo is not capable to deliver much beyond 300hp. But If I change the internals, Im sure my turbo will be changed in a mater of time.

So for the fuel pump and regulator, what should I go for?

I see TBird mentions that the MCX 270 kit is delivered with walbro fuelpump, is this a standard fuelpump or a pump that MCX have modified to fit the nytro?

Thanks

It's an std inline fuelpump used alot, good to above 400hp.
The kit MCX sells is with new maps for the ECU and the fuelpressure regulator is a rising rate preset to right pressure.

And above 300hp, the first thing i would change is the studs, then the rods and then the pistons, and as you say, when tearing apart the engine it's best to do it all.

I converted my nytro to 270, and after 500km's one of my rods snaped right off. I would definately go for the rods if you are thinking of boosting over 0,9bar.
I baught rods,arp headstuds and je-pistons from hurricane.

Sad to hear you had engine failure!
Everything can happen when double the power, still, i personally know over ten people running atleast 270hp who never had any problem.
There's also people i heard of running stock that had engine failure, none that i know of tho.
If i was concerned i would check with Erik, he have delivered several thousands of kit's over the years and he know's how common/uncommon failures are, and engines weak spots.
The numbers i heard from several sources is (with stock internals despite chim, and with right octane on the fuel).
Nytro 300hp.
Apex 350hp.
Granted that those hp could be near the edge.
But for ex. is Ted Jannetty running 24psi on his RX1 with stock internals, should be 370-400hp.

I'm not saying that it will be a problem,but you are stretching the limit imo. i had to change the entire block, and that is more expensive that the rods you will pay 800'ish dollar for..

Thanks for all feedback!
I will for sure consider a upgrade for my engine before I buying a 270kit.

Running moderate boost levels blown head gaskets is caused mostly by detonation and/or wrong torque procedure when installing the cylinder head.

Speedmax runs 375-410 on stock internals, running a head shim and good race fuel.

Just upgrade to 270 and then buy Rb3 and Black injectors from MCX to the plenium and then fill it up with E-85 Gasolin and boost on!! :Rockon: You have to do some remaping
since E-85 drinks some more fuel,but it`s worth it!!
Heres a video of mine on E-85
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqa83XO0JlY

Cool vid :)
Where do you get E-85 in Norway?
Interesting fuel conversion tho.
You run 101.5 RON Octane E-85?

Back