• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

USI SPX Ski Review

Highmark

Veteran
Purchased USI SPX skis (stepped bottom version) for my Apex GT. Rode about 350 miles on them this weekend. I was not happy with the darting and overall performance of the stock ski. The USI performed very well and I would recommend these skis. They virtually eliminated all darting in the mostly soft conditions we were riding in. I would warn that they make the sled steer considerably harder than stock. I was able to correct most of this by eliminating most of the spring pre-load (ski pressure) on the front shocks. Changing the preload did not appear to negatively affect the ride quality. It may have actually help the sled corner a bit flatter by lowering the front a bit. For reference I have 144 1.450 studs down the center and used the 9" 60 deg. stud boy shaper bars.

I have same experience with USI SPX ski. Had them on 05 Warrior great all around performance. Also ran Vx 301,a liittle less aggressive, easier steering effort. This year tried Slydog ski.fantastic for me, real easy steering and good overall performance. studdog

I am going to start to play with the ski setup. I will start with the different mounting positions and see how that works first.

I took the spx's off my F7 and put them on my Apex
to find they actually lightend my steering. Definitely
try mounting them in the third hole (furthest back).
I also am going to add a slight bend between the last
2 mounting studs. This "up curve" pushes the rear of
the ski off the ground slightly but really helps to lighten
the steering.

Anyone see the pictures of the Corey Davidson sled that Mr Sled put up last week? It has USI's but they are a little different. They have some "rocker" to them. I have the PX 301 on my Apex, was on an RX-1. Definitely steer hard when going slow but overall I'm happy with them.

shim them AND grind off some material where the carbide sits....if you look at them, you will see the bar sticks out alot from the bottom of the ski. try to get the bar recessed at least half way....big difference!

With the warm, soft conditions I expected the sled to steer a bit harder. I will move the mount to the back hole and wait for colder conditions before making any more changes. I will not complain about a little more effort steering if darting is eliminated.

Back