• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Valve Failure?

jhlarsen

Extreme
Have anyone seen a valve failure like this before?
It's a turbo's worst nightmare......

06012011048.jpg

Does this happen often out in the big world?

jhlarsen said:

06012011048.jpg

Yes i have seen it , i had it happen , from the looks of it you are lucky , mine took the valve seat and head , very costly , head was ported and had over size valves.
Mine was caused by being very lean on top end under boost .

gunnerthesnowman said:
Yes i have seen it , i had it happen , from the looks of it you are lucky , mine took the valve seat and head , very costly , head was ported and had over size valves.
Mine was caused by being very lean on top end under boost .

I was wondering if this would be avoided with aftermarket valves, but maybe not....?

I was running slow, no boost at the time.

Me too, I ended up by a used engine for cheaper than I could buy a bare cylinder head. Dealer was even giving me the head near cost. Engine I brought even came with wiring harness, starter, brain box.

Do you have any timing advance control? If you wern't under boost one reason I can see that happening is if you have some major timing advance in your low and mid range.

zross1 said:
Do you have any timing advance control? If you wern't under boost one reason I can see that happening is if you have some major timing advance in your low and mid range.

I'm running rb3 with a map from dave at hurricane.
But were i was in the map at the time, i don't think it's to much advance.
But i will check in to that. Thanks for the heads up :)

jhlarsen said:
zross1 said:

i think its from the carboned up valve.carbon produces heat and i think thats what caused that

mike3577 said:
jhlarsen said:
zross1 said:

i think its from the carboned up valve.carbon produces heat and i think thats what caused that

The carbon build up may be form the long drive down from the mountain..

jhlarsen said:
mike3577 said:
jhlarsen said:
zross1 said:

The carbon build up may be form the long drive down from the mountain..

Thats what i was thinking !

jhlarsen said:

06012011048.jpg

This is a severely overheated exhaust valve, not enough timing, Restricted exhaust system or header, too small and exhaust housing, too lean a mixture can all lead to this.

Ted.

Extensive cabon buildup to the point the valve didn't close anymore and the valve hit the piston.

What does your piston look like?

what if deto gods showed up and broke a piston part and that would have hit valve on closing event.....

just a though...

Actually it's one of the three small valves... so it's an intake valve and not an exhaust valve.
Still can be caused by thermal fatigue...

How was the valve lash? Excessive clearance causing pounding?

Back