• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vector Clutch noise: Volume II

more vector noise

Yeah, that's why I didn't want to haul my sled an hour and a half to the dealer and leave it per the reps suggestion. If your buddies read ANY of the general sledding sites, they've already heard about the noisey clutch. Could be worse, I guess. We were going back and fourth on it last night over a few beers in the pole barn, sitting next to my friend's Edge with the skid out of it already trying to get it to ride good. Not like Cat hasn't had their share of warranty issues, and be glad you aren't struggling with the Fusion engine woes.

Vector_1, what part of Michigan are you from?

twomorestrokes: reply

[quote="twomorestrokes"Vector_1, what part of Michigan are you from?[/quote]

Brighton. I see that you are in Charlotte. I am glad that I am "back" on a YAMAHA. Polaris for the last 3 years did not treat me bad, but the sled looks like it is 6 years old and not 3. Fit-n-finish is just not what it is on YAMAHA. Not sorry that I tried another brand, it just made me appreciate what YAMAHA has to offer. Might get another next year, as the Vector is for the wife. I am eyeing the REV 800 RENEGADE. I had the opportunity to ride a 600 Gade last year and loved it. We will see. $ is always an issue.

Where do you ride mostly?

Went to see my dealer after my last ride and told him I love the machine except for the clutch noise. While I was there he phoned Yamaha Canada and they said they will shim the clutch. Dealer said they will fix any machine that has excessive noise. Talk to your dealers and tell them that the noise is excessive.

Re: Yamaha North America

twomorestrokes said:
Yes, I told him about what Flipper had written. He couldn't find a file under Flipper though :D You think maybe that's not his real name?

Seriously, I told him that I had read that the Canadian units were being repaired under warranty. He had no information.

Flipper, did they say that Yamaha had a specific fix to a known problem or is it just that your dealer knows how to fix it and is going to cover it under warranty?

Toys, good news on the snow, huh? Raining cats & dogs here.

twomorestrokes,

Yes, Yamaha Canada has a specific fix, shim kit as discussed on this board. It will be covered under warranty.

vector_1 said:
No way after "jumping ship" back to YAMAHA from Polaris(9 years on YAMAHA, 3 on Polaris) am I going to take this thing up North over Christmas only to have my buddies give me hell for all the racket that it is making.

I know what you are saying vector 1. It is a pain to tow my sled in. I'm gonna ride for the whole week after christmas. Then I am going to PULL my primary and just take that to my dealer.

clutch noise

Good thinking Tork. That's the idea that I'm going to discuss with my dealer too. Be much easier making two round trips to Greenville without the trailer. I don't want the sled out of commission untill after my big weekend in January though.

Guys if your dealer is curtious at all and values you as a customer he should be able to do this and turn it around in less than an hour. Especially if you pull the primary off and take it to him. I'd call the dealership, tell him or the mechanic that you want to setup a time to reshim your clutch and then be on time or even a little early.

Call the dealer first and see if they will allow for you to bring in the primary only. My dealer wanted to "hear" the rattle first before calling YAMAHA(US). SInce there is not an official YAMAHA bulletin, I would confirm before pulling the primary and only taking that in.

IMHO

When I picked my sled up last Fri, I asked my dealer about a warranty fix for it. He said the same as all the others seem to be saying in the states....nothing yet. However he was aware of the noise, but I got the standard "its normal and within spec" response.

He did say that as soon as he hears there is a warranty fix for it, to bring it right in. Hopefully soon. When one of my inlaws (who rides a Cat) heardi it, he said "hu.....sounds like a diesel". :shock:

I have just over 500 miles on my RS Venture, so when I took it into my dealer to get the oil changed today, we also shimmed the clutch. The owner is a friend of mine and I helped him do the work. It took us under and hour to do both jobs.

The clutch work is being covered by Yamaha under warranty. I just called their customer service number before I brought it in.

The parts only cost about $3.00 total.

I was surprised how easy the oil change was. Just take the right side panel off, drain the oil tank, then drop the bottom cover plate and the oil filter and engine drain plug are right there. No messing around from up top with the battery etc...

Anyhow, the machine is now very quiet no more clanking and I am a happy camper.

Johnboy,are you located in the US? When I called Yamaha a few weeks ago they said that they were not covering the problem at this time. Also what was part of the first service oil change, tighten track, anything else?

mc426,

Yes, I am located in in the U.P. of Michigan. When I called the customer service number for Yamaha they took my vin# and actually called the dealer while I was on hold and then came back on and told me that it was covered under warranty and to bring it in. She did advise me that they were aware of the noise and it would not hurt anything. It is hard to believe those little shims made such a difference. Hope they last awhile.

The only other thing we did besides the oil change and tighten the track was to check the tension of the chain in the chaincase.

My dealer attempted to shim mine at 10 miles as YAMAHA gave the green light, but... alas with 3 .08 shims(1 on each tower) the clutch will not disengage. So, I now have a machine that sounds like a bag of bolts in a cuisinart when idleing. They said to bring it back at 200-300 miles to see if it has broken in enough to accept the shims. This is as of 12/20

Back