• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Venture Lite Secondary Rubbing

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Venture Lite
Hey guys, in need of some help! I'v been noticing an odd noise on my Venture lite, sounded like something rubbing. At first I thought maybe it was just ice built up and it was the track rubbing on the ice. I decieded to take my secondary off and clean it. When I took it off i discovered the helix was rubbing on the jack shaft bearing carrier. ive attached a couple pics. Just wondering what could be causing this? Did i maybe miss a shim or something last time i had the secondary apart? there is only 1 shim on the shaft between the clutch and the jack shaft bearing, is that what there is supposed to be?

tempimage7xgxto-jpg.170828

Attachments

• tempImage7xGxtO.jpg
    tempImage7xGxtO.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

I've been doing some more investigating and have a couple more questions. Just wondering if someone could tell me how many/how thick the shim should be between helix and jack shaft bearing.(Part 16) and how many/how thick should the shim/washer be between the clutch bolt and the clutch. I only have 1 thick washer(part 18 I believe) and am missing the 2nd washer(part 17). I also can slide the whole clutch assemble back and forth on the shaft about a quarter inch, is that normal?
Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 7.28.51 PM.png

Just going from memory, mine had 3 of those thin washers, which I assume is to adjust freeplay and clutch belt alignment. I think that clutch is still usable. The amount of freeplay you should have is in the service manual.

If you take it apart to replace the buttons, you MUST replace the C-clip and put it the same way the old one came out, IIRC sharp side out.

Would you mind taking a picture of the shaft and bearing.

Just going from memory, mine had 3 of those thin washers, which I assume is to adjust freeplay and clutch belt alignment. I think that clutch is still usable. The amount of freeplay you should have is in the service manual.

If you take it apart to replace the buttons, you MUST replace the C-clip and put it the same way the old one came out, IIRC sharp side out.
Thanks Mooseman! I downloaded a crappy version of the manual last night and was able to figure it out… need to get a peice of flat bar and order some shims today. Last time I had clutch apart I did use a new C-clip and I ordered a couple so I have a new one left still. I looked back in my records and the last time I had it apart was 3 years and 2100km ago. I was very careful about shims/washers so I’m a little stumped as to why it just started grinding now, unless the shims some how wore off but that doesn’t seem likely. I agree the clutch looks usable still but it’s only the helix that got wore so may price a new one while I’m ordering shims and gonna replace buttons as well. Thanks again for the reply, I dunno what this forum would do without you!

0FA870FB-1480-444A-A3D8-A0711C93D334.png

7A209D4F-A683-4344-9449-06BC1E8F13D6.png

Nothing appears wrong.
Use a liberal amount of grease on that shaft prior to installing clutch

Back