• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Venture Mp noise from jackshaft, gearbox?

Roger.Q

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 venture MP
Hey gang.
Just wondering if anyone else had had this problem? I've had my 2008 MP with 3800km, for about a year now, i've noticed that everytime i take it out for more than 5 km it starts to make a bearing noise, the noise is coming from the jackshaft area or gearbox area. Seems to be making the noise at lower speeds around 25-35 km, the noise almost sounds like a kettle boiling whistle. I can't pin point sound . The noise happens when just keeping steady throttle and when turning to the right, seems to go away when turning to the left or when i stop. I also here a tick tick sound at the same time. When looking into other forums i came across this. I'm not sure what to do cause i have the exact same symptoms.

Here what the guy wrote back in 2008-2009

Since the beginning of feb I got my sled into the dealer about the noise problem.they tried cleaning the front clutch that made no differance,next time in they said it may be the belt touching gard at times so they added a spacer in driven to take out some belt deflection still no differance,I knew that would not work because i tried the sled with all that off and noise was there.On the 15 of feb i drove sled to dealer they tried it and heard the noise to.They since have told me the motor mounts were alittle loose they tightened them and told me to try that. Idont think thats the noise.I know these 4-strokes make some weird noisesbut this is not suposed to be these.Just to up date this noise problem.The noise is not there when the sled is at idle.you can start the sled and let it warm up for 15 mins no noise.Also starting off no noise,you have to actually drive the sled 6 or 7 miles before the noise starts up then as long as you are driving/ moving the noise will be there .Usually between 20 and 50 kms .also myself and dealer noticed at those speeds with little strain on the noise is worse if you turn to the right putting more weight on left.If you let off on throtle or give lots of throtle no noise.The noise is almost like the screeching of a kettle.once the noise startsup it will stay untill you slow down or stop.If you stop and let the sled idle for 5 minutes you have to drive it again for a couple of miles again for the noise to start up.I wish someone could help me with this problem.This is a 2008 venture mp I have about 1000 kms on this sled and the niose was there from the first ride.Its not stoping me from riding but its anoying ,not right and not suposed to be there.I personally have a gut feeling it may be in the motor/seems only after you warm up the dirve train something expands and the noise starts.Any coments welcome.

the winter of 2008 i spent trying to find the misterous noise.Finally after alot of research ,trial,listening with stessascope,setting up the sled in my garage so the dealer could listen . One day they finally got it.The noise was coming from a bearing in a small gear box on the top of the engine. the bearing was pressed in crooket or not not pressed in straight.The funny thing was they lent me a loaner I guess for all the winters misaree and it was a mt lite same set up as mp and that had same noise .They later had to fix it also.

P.S. I cleaned the clutches, cleaned and regreased the jackshaft bearing on clutch side, change 6 idler bearings.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Tx.

Only small gearbox I can think of is the reverse gearbox, which is basically on the jackshaft on the secondary clutch.

Do you know if the oil pipe and grommet were updated?
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/07-fx-chain-case-leak.122264/page-3#post-1091870
If it ran low on chaincase oil or oil didn't get into the gearbox properly, this could have affected the reverse gearbox that is oiled by the chaincase.
Check in the Venture Lite & Multipurpose Frequently Asked Questions
for reverse gear issues, failures and inspection.

Other than that, only other thing I can think of are the jackshaft and driveshaft bearings.

Only small gearbox I can think of is the reverse gearbox, which is basically on the jackshaft on the secondary clutch.

Do you know if the oil pipe and grommet were updated?
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/07-fx-chain-case-leak.122264/page-3#post-1091870
If it ran low on chaincase oil or oil didn't get into the gearbox properly, this could have affected the reverse gearbox that is oiled by the chaincase.
Check in the Venture Lite & Multipurpose Frequently Asked Questions
for reverse gear issues, failures and inspection.

Other than that, only other thing I can think of are the jackshaft and driveshaft bearings.

I'll hopefully look into it this weekend. Is it a big job to take gearbox and reverse box out of the machine. It seems to be a big job? Will i need special tools? New gaskets?

A fairly involved job. Have to take off seat, tank, battery with holder, brake, chaincase cover, chain, top gear, secondary clutch. And then getting the reverse gearbox out is a bit of a contortion act. I think taking out the jackshaft bearing helps.

Sorry should off posted this a couple of weeks ago. I change most of the idler or boogie wheels, seems to have fixed the problem.
Thanks for the advice.

Back