• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Chaincase important info

Status
Not open for further replies.
vipernick said:
BlueByYou2000 said:
Yamaha is telling all dealers that it is vital to check and most often tighten your chain adjuster after a couple hundred miles. It is a manual adjuster and will involve removing the exhaust canister. Really a pretty simple job. Most reports are saying the adjuster bold will need between 1 and 2 complete revolutions. I would run it finger tight, then back off just a bit, then set lock nut. It is important for everyone to do this, especially those do you running studs. Have fun, and get out there and enjoy the snow! :sled1:

here is what i did. i did my first service at 270 miles. chain was just over 3 turns out from finger tight. did it by the book to 1/4 turn back, rode the sled a total of 300 feet and back into the shop. chain was WAAAYYYYY too tight. loosened it to a full turn, much better sounding, but still wasnt right, removed muffler for a 3rd time, and loosened to the cat spec at 1.5 turns back and perfect, no noise whatsoever. if you are doing the adjustment yourself, and go by the 1/4 turn it says in the book, you will do damage to your chain and gears without a doubt. and i would bet yamaha warranty would find a way out of paying for it. use your heads, you guys know if something doesn't sound right. if you have whine after chain adjustment, its too tight, plain and simple. i am guessing the sleds were assembled at 1.5 turns out, break in will normally stretch a chain and cut gears another 1.5-2 turns. hope this helps, and saves some of you guys the headache of taking the muffler in and out and putting the hood on and off several times like i had to do to get it correct because the book was wrong!

Great information. Thank you. :sled1:

I adjusted my chain to owners manual spec ( 1/4 turn out ) chain case was busted in less than 300 km. dealer fixed and adjusted to 1 1/2 turns out which is the factory spec. I don't know why Yamaha didn't send an amendment out to correct the owners manual, the warranty bills must be excessive for this one problem.

X2 and Yamaha never did say anything. A low point in there history for sure. Maybe this should be locked or deleted since it's from way back in 14 and came up now! Guys at least read the last few posts of old threads to see what conclusion was.

Finger tight then 1.5 turns out. Cat manual was right and Yamaha owners manual was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back