• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper glider build

yamakazie

Pro
I picked up a 2015 Viper RTX rolling chassis.
9f47cad9083c1dee16cafd1fbfaa61ff.jpg

It came with no motor, throttle bodies, clutches, ECU, and main wiring harness.
0da8b4702b192a09e11f886d290f082f.jpg

The donor sled in the 1st picture is a 2009 Nytro RTX. As you all know the engines are identical but the harness and ECU are very different. I've enlisted the help of Mr Grizztracks who is very knowledgeable in the electrical in both of these machines. Also, as an added bonus, he happens to have the same machine sitting in his shop for reference. Tomorrow we will be starting this project which will likely have some bumps in the road. In the end it will be a new/old Viper with a brand new chassis and 5609 miles on the motor. It will have a Yamaha ECU which will require the changing of many of the electronics. Wish us luck and we will be keeping you posted.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would use the whole nytro harness using the grip heaters and switches. The only problem would be the LED tail lights . Should only have to lengthen wires

Should have the Nytro engine sitting in it's new home this weekend. A few issues to work out but it shouldn't be a bad job.

This will be very interesting. I would suggest running viper dash and Nytro dash if possible. Hide the Nytro dash .

What's your plan for the exhaust system? I'm curious to see if this is the primary reason for the loss in power vs. the Nytro.

Looks good.
Post up plenty of pics and notes on what needed to be modded please.

If you look closely, the Yamaha race team viper has the nytro pod, throttle bodies are different on viper also, this should be interesting, dying to know if it's the cat ecu or the exhaust chocking the power on the viper.

I will be using the stock Viper exhaust system. If everything works as planned, the Nytro ECU will be the only major difference between a stock Viper and mine. Maybe this will answer some of your questions about the Viper power loss

Last edited:
If you look closely, the Yamaha race team viper has the nytro pod, throttle bodies are different on viper also, this should be interesting, dying to know if it's the cat ecu or the exhaust chocking the power on the viper.
What's different with Throttlebodies?

As far as I know there isn't a difference in throttle bodies. I've argued this in the past.

Along with the Nytro ECU we'll install the Yamaha bars, gauge pod and wire harness so it'll all be matched . I think if he could find a Vector gauge at a reasonable price he'd go with that instead of the Nytro pod. Because the Nytro's wiring and controls don't include the reverse I'll also have to figure out a way to power the Viper's reverse actuator. The Nytro clutching will be utilized because the Viper chassis came without them and because the Nytro clutching runs a slightly different setup some fine tuning might be needed once it hits the snow. Overall this job shouldn't be all that difficult.

I don't believe the Viper exhaust is the reason for it to be down on power. I'd bet on the AC programming being the culprit.

Last edited:
22faac808394c451aa2a28ad9fd0dd33.jpg

Tearing down the donor sled and removing the engine was the easy part. We learned a few things when it came to the install.
3a03acd72e035f59e4f26bf4b4d5b2e5.jpg

7eefe0074f2920478ee7ea0bf2570076.jpg

We removed a few of the steering gate bars on the PTO side only to learn removal of the steering column would have been easier.
09fe42c73e8bc9501d3d5a681656b81c.jpg

By the end of the night the engine was successfully in place. Motor mounts dropped perfectly into their new home and all cooling and oil lines were easily hooked up. Now for the electrical...

Back