• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

VIPER REAR SHOCK BROKE OFF

bigdog_mike

Lifetime Member
Was on the second ride on the Viper LTX SE when the rear shock snapped off and trashed the track, didn't even know it had fallen off as the trails were nearly empty on Christmas day and the trails were smooth but after a short 15 mile loop we headed back to the cottage and that is when i inspected the sled to find the shock was missing after clearing the ice and snow from the rear skid...called the dealer and dropped it off, they will have to replace the rear shock, linkage arms, and the track...CHECK YOUR REAR SHOCK FOR CRACKES...SEE ATTACHED PICS

HERE YOU CAN SEE THE CHUNKS MISSING DOWN CENTER OF THE TRACK AND THE DAMAGE TO THE KNOBS ON EACH SIDE OF THE CENTER
VIPER-BREAK-04-2013_zpsa226f3f9.jpg

NOTICE THE DAMAGE TO THE LINK ARMS AND ALSO THE MISSING SHOCK
VIPER-BREAK-03-2013_zps66d68f68.jpg

HERE IS ANOTHER VIEW OF THE DAMAGE
VIPER-BREAK-02-2013_zps4b14b0e1.jpg

HERE WAS THE TOP REAR SHOCK MOUNT
VIPER-BREAK-01-2013_zpse46ee44d.jpg

Dam that really sucks!!! Ill check mine ASAP!!! :o|

That does suck! Thanks for sharing as I will inspect right now.

Just fully inspected. No cracks that I can see and the weld looks good. I wonder if this was an anomaly since this is a proven suspension and chassis? I will keep an eye on that during my cleaning process after my rides. Hope the dealer gets your parts in quickly to get you back out on the trail soon!

Thanks for pointing this out... Glad guys are sharing this stuff, especially when they could be safety items to catch before someone gets hurt.

Looks like the eye of the shaft is to tight and putting stress on it, could be the same thing when dealers were installing the ski washers on the bottom of front shocks on nytros and shafts were braking. Not saying it's dealers fault. I'll probably loosen mine a bit and spray some lithium grease on it so it move more freely.

All the shocks are ACT which are Cat. This is the first year they are used.

I have seen shock shafts fail but more happened here. The arm could have failed first. Big Dog that was a heck of a second ride! Fuel line and this. Sure someone isnt out to get you?

fxnytroxtx said:
Looks like the eye of the shaft is to tight and putting stress on it, could be the same thing when dealers were installing the ski washers on the bottom of front shocks on nytros and shafts were braking. Not saying it's dealers fault. I'll probably loosen mine a bit and spray some lithium grease on it so it move more freely.
That's what happened to my Nytro.

Twistgrip said:
fxnytroxtx said:
That's what happened to my Nytro.
Mine to

Thanks for the update that's not what you want happening when you buy a brand-new sled.

I've been beating the hell out of my 2003 RX 1 , 11,000 km on it and haven't broke a single thing. Maybe I should of bought a Nytro XTX.

Back